Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > FAQ 6.14 How do I process each word on each line?

FAQ 6.14 How do I process each word on each line?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq6.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

6.14: How do I process each word on each line?

Use the split function:

while (<>) {
foreach $word ( split ) {
# do something with $word here
}
}

Note that this isn't really a word in the English sense; it's just
chunks of consecutive non-whitespace characters.

To work with only alphanumeric sequences (including underscores), you
might consider

while (<>) {
foreach $word (m/(\w+)/g) {
# do something with $word here