Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Windows Update using Mozilla?

Windows Update using Mozilla?

William W. Plummer

Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
Microsoft requires?

lurker

William W. Plummer wrote:

> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
> Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
> Microsoft requires?

You mean the "upgrade" of features that lessen Mozilla's security that Internet
Explorer has built-in?

.BRIAN.

William W. Plummer wrote:

> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla? Can't
> Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that Microsoft
> requires?

I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No, Mozilla
is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS code. If you
like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the crap IE is.

--
Brian

Email Info -
http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

William W. Plummer

..BRIAN. wrote:
> William W. Plummer wrote:
>
>> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
>> Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
>> Microsoft requires?

> I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No, Mozilla
> is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS code. If you
> like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the crap IE is.

OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a way
around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied code?

Grinder

William W. Plummer wrote:
> .BRIAN. wrote:
>
>> William W. Plummer wrote:
>>
>>> Just what is the problem about doing WindowsUpdate using Mozilla?
>>> Can't Mozilla be upgraded to handle whatever special features that
>>> Microsoft requires?

>> I believe the problem is that Mozilla doesn't run ActiveX. No,
>> Mozilla is not going to be upgraded to use the security flawed MS
>> code. If you like IE, use it. Don't ask for Mozilla to become the
>> crap IE is.
>>

> OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
> supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled?

That's mostly correct. The big thing with ActiveX is that it has no
"sandbox" to execute within.

> Is there a way
> around that or does Mozilla simply not
> execute remotely supplied code?

Mozilla will execute Java code because it has a secure environment -- a
sandbox, that is.

Tony Raven

William W. Plummer wrote:

> OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes code
> supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a way
> around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied code?

Mozilla's executes XPInstall. Arguably worse than ActiveX in security
terms. Several of the loopholes to uncontrolled remote site install
have been blocked
(http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4997) but do you
really know who has written that extension you loaded and what their
intentions are? At least you can set the trust level at which ActiveX
runs - the problem is that most people don't but then they put the same
level of trust in xpi writers too.

FWIW there is a Mozilla ActiveX extension available but not for FF at
the moment:
http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm

Tony

Leonidas Jones

Tony Raven wrote:

> William W. Plummer wrote:
>

>> OK, what is the problem with ActiveX? Is that my browser executes
>> code supply by the remote site and this is uncontrolled? Is there a
>> way around that or does Mozilla simply not execute remotely supplied
>> code?

> Mozilla's executes XPInstall. Arguably worse than ActiveX in security
> terms. Several of the loopholes to uncontrolled remote site install
> have been blocked
> (http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=4997) but do you
> really know who has written that extension you loaded and what their
> intentions are? At least you can set the trust level at which ActiveX
> runs - the problem is that most people don't but then they put the same
> level of trust in xpi writers too.
>
> FWIW there is a Mozilla ActiveX extension available but not for FF at
> the moment:
> http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
>
> Tony

Still won't get you into Windows Update.

Think about it, Microspft Windows, Microsoft Internet Explorer. Windows
update will NEVER run in Mozilla, no matter what. MS won't allow it.

You can use Mozilla to download all the updates separately though.

Lee