Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > The daemon helper, dh is its name

The daemon helper, dh is its name

John Kelly

The daemon helper, dh is its name.

It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
daemon, then gets out of the way.

Yes I know there are various others. But this is one I wrote, and I
gave it an Apache license.

If you don't like the name "dh" for whatever reason, you can patch the
Makefile and source to give it whatever name you like. Perhaps "dprime"
(daemon primer), or "dp" for a short name.

ftp://ftp.beewyz.com/users/jar/etcet...ng/project/dh/

Yes I know you can fork,setsid,exec in Perl too. But the daemon helper
covers some bases you might not think of, when throwing your Perl script
together. And a tool that already does the job for you, saves time.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

Uri Guttman

BM> Quoth John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>>
>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
>> daemon, then gets out of the way.

BM> Why are you posting this here?

because he doesn't like how i paTROL the group?

but a good question that he is not likely to answer. asking him
questions about his reasoning is taken as a personal insult.

uri

John Kelly

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Quoth John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>>
>>> The daemon helper, dh is its name.
>>>
>>> It's a small C program that starts any program or shell command as a
>>> daemon, then gets out of the way.

>> Why are you posting this here?

>Maybe because it is "news", as in Network News Transfer Protocol?

Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon, without any need to
fork,setsid,exec in your perl script. I use it myself, to start Perl
scripts as never ending daemons.

Not every post must answer a question. People like to read news too,
though I understand why control freaks hate news, as it threatens their
territorial domain.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

Jürgen Exner

John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 23:06:33 -0500, Tad McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> Why are you posting this here?

>Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
the corresponding groups for those languages too?

jue

John Kelly

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 22:00:55 -0700, Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>Because it can start a Perl script as a daemon,

>I bet it can start a Haskell or C# or Lisp program, too. Did you post in
>the corresponding groups for those languages too?

Not yet.

It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
your application, saving time and work.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

Ted Zlatanov

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
JK> your application, saving time and work.

I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
any features Perl does not have, does not extend or contribute to
existing Perl code, and has no Perl interfaces. It's like posting here
about your new car because it can drive you to work where you could
write Perl code.

You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
annoy people. Try reddit.com for instance.

Ted

John Kelly

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 07:39:01 -0500, Ted Zlatanov <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 05:22:21 +0000 John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>JK> It's topical for a Perl group, because Perl provides sockets and other
>JK> features typically used in daemons. The daemon helper lets you omit the
>JK> Perl code required for daemon bootstrapping, and focus more readily on
>JK> your application, saving time and work.
>
>I don't think it's relevant to Perl specifically as it does not offer
>any features Perl does not have

How would you know that without using it.

>does not extend or contribute to existing Perl code, and has no Perl
>interfaces.

So I can't discuss awk, sed, or shell features, and compare or contrast
them to Perl features, because they don't have "Perl interfaces"?

>It's like posting here about your new car because it can drive you
>to work where you could write Perl code.

That's a stretched analogy.

>You should try to popularize your software but this way you will just
>annoy people.

Maybe. But popularity is not my goal. It's a niche tool, not many
people attempt to write daemons of any kind, much less in Perl. I put
it out there for the few who may. It helps me save work and time, and
it can help other people too.

If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
not ignore it. Every complaint is another opportunity for me to discuss
it.

>Try reddit.com for instance

Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

John Kelly

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:10:51 -0400, Sherm Pendley
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John Kelly <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
>> not ignore it.

>Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

I believe not.

>there's a chance ... that someone doesn't realize that they're behaving
>badly, and may therefore appreciate being told about it, so as to avoid
>being rude in the future.

Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

>> Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

>That's what happens in a free-for-all which doesn't take topicality
>very seriously. So the question is, why do you want to turn this group
>into such an unhelpful place as that?

The complainers are making more noise than my original post. If you
can't ignore me, you have no one but yourselves to blame.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

sreservoir

On 7/1/2010 10:39 AM, John Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 10:10:51 -0400, Sherm Pendley
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> John Kelly<(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> If you're not interested in a thread, or it seems off topic to you, why
>>> not ignore it.

>> Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

> I believe not.

you believe wrongly.

>> there's a chance ... that someone doesn't realize that they're behaving
>> badly, and may therefore appreciate being told about it, so as to avoid
>> being rude in the future.

> Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
> meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
> I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
> and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

newsgroups _are_ social structure. treat them as such.

>>> Thanks, but it looks too noisy to be helpful.

>> That's what happens in a free-for-all which doesn't take topicality
>> very seriously. So the question is, why do you want to turn this group
>> into such an unhelpful place as that?

> The complainers are making more noise than my original post. If you
> can't ignore me, you have no one but yourselves to blame.

see upthread.

--

"Six by nine. Forty two."
"That's it. That's all there is."

John Kelly

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 11:05:08 -0400, sreservoir <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>> Doing so encourages more off-topic threads.

>> I believe not.

>you believe wrongly.

How can you be sure.

>> Some people use newsgroups as a social structure where they hang out and
>> meet friends. So they expect newcomers to behave like themselves. But
>> I don't use newsgroups that way. To me they are an information resource
>> and little more. I'm not interested in your social group's approval.

>newsgroups _are_ social structure. treat them as such.

Well I don't mean to belittle anyone who has few other social outlets,
so let me apologize if my words caused offense. But I just can't get
into the spirit of group think online. I need face to face contact for
that.

For those who want to continue discussing psychology, please change the
subject. By now, we are far more off topic than the daemon helper ever
was.