Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Is there a way to search all the perl document?

Is there a way to search all the perl document?

Peng Yu

Suppose I'm looking for the explanation of __END__, but I'm not sure
which man page I should look at. perldoc __END__ returns the following
error.

No documentation found for "__END__".

The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
has the word "__END__".

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Peng Yu wrote:
> Suppose I'm looking for the explanation of __END__, but I'm not sure
> which man page I should look at. perldoc __END__ returns the following
> error.
>
> No documentation found for "__END__".
>
> The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
> to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
> has the word "__END__".

It is documented in perldata. I'm not really sure why, that doesn't
strike me as the most logical place. I know this because several years
ago I asked about it here and someone told me.

Sorry, I can't answer your real question.

Xho

C.DeRykus

On Jun 10, 5:11*am, Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Quoth Peng Yu <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > Suppose I'm looking for the explanation of __END__, but I'm not sure
> > which man page I should look at. perldoc __END__ returns the following
> > error.

> > No documentation found for "__END__".

> > The dumbest way is to go through each manpage manually. But I'd like
> > to know if there is a command to automatically search which manpage
> > has the word "__END__".

> There is an index facility in POD, and recent versions of the docs have
> index entries in all the proper places. I cannot, however, see any way
> of looking up something in that index. The nearest switch I can see for
> perldoc would be
>
> * * perldoc -X __END__
>
> which just says
>
> * * No documentation found for "__END__".
>
> Does anyone know how to make this do something useful?

Evidently, the development stalled at some point.
-X expects a pod.idx to be in $Config{arch}/pod
and the thread below establishes that file isn't
generated by Pod::Index as you'd expect. However,
Pod::Index author Ivan Tubert-Brohman mentions
adding -k keyword search patch for Pod:erldoc.
The patch never got added but the needed pieces
may still be available. See thread:

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl....0/msg1350.html

--
Charles DeRykus