Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Where is the document for \ (backslash operator for creating areference)

Where is the document for \ (backslash operator for creating areference)

Peng Yu

I think that the document for \ can be found in man perlop. But there
are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
'\' is discussed in some other man page?

Randal L. Schwartz

Peng> I think that the document for \ can be found in man perlop. But there
Peng> are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
Peng> operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
Peng> '\' is discussed in some other man page?

The reference doc is at "perldoc perlref". There's also a number of
tutorials on references in the standard doc set.

print "Just another Perl hacker,"; # the original!

Xho Jingleheimerschmidt

Peng Yu wrote:
> I think that the document for \ can be found in man perlop. But there
> are too many '\'s, and I don't find where the description of backslash
> operator is. Would you please point me which section to look at? Or
> '\' is discussed in some other man page?

It is both the 1st and the 6th backslash in perlop (my version, of
course, can't speak for yours).

Symbolic Unary Operators
Unary "\" creates a reference to whatever follows it. See perlreftut
and perlref. Do not confuse this behavior with the behavior of back-
slash within a string, although both forms do convey the notion of pro-
tecting the next thing from interpolation.

Xho