Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird 0.7.2 - Full stops in username being replaced?

Thunderbird 0.7.2 - Full stops in username being replaced?

Samuel B.

Hi folks..... fairly straightforward question.
when thunderbird submits my username to check my mail, it apppears to be
replacing full stops with "%2E" i am assuming this is the problem as
both my accounts with full stops have this and both return a password
authorisation failed message.

any ideas??
Thanks in advance

Leonidas Jones

Samuel B. wrote:

> Hi folks..... fairly straightforward question.
> when thunderbird submits my username to check my mail, it apppears to be
> replacing full stops with "%2E" i am assuming this is the problem as
> both my accounts with full stops have this and both return a password
> authorisation failed message.
>
> any ideas??
> Thanks in advance

I've never known an email provider that allowed a space in the username
of an email address.

Lee

Arthur J. O'Dwyer

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Samuel B. wrote:
>> Hi folks..... fairly straightforward question.
>> when thunderbird submits my username to check my mail, it apppears to be
>> replacing full stops with "%2E" i am assuming this is the problem as both
>> my accounts with full stops have this and both return a password
>> authorisation failed message.

> I've never known an email provider that allowed a space in the
> username of an email address.

(1) Neither have I, but that doesn't mean Thunderbird should assume
none exist.

(2) A full stop . (%2E) is not a space (%20). I know plenty of
email providers (usually corporate email) that not only allow full
stops in usernames, but practically require them!

(3) Sorry, Samuel B., I have no idea how to fix this, unless
Thunderbird allows the user control over the actual data it sends
back and forth. (This is an amazingly useful feature; therefore,
I would be very surprised if any common client were to provide it.)

-Arthur

Gunther

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Leonidas Jones wrote:
> >
> > Samuel B. wrote:
> >> Hi folks..... fairly straightforward question.
> >> when thunderbird submits my username to check my mail, it apppears to be
> >> replacing full stops with "%2E" i am assuming this is the problem as both
> >> my accounts with full stops have this and both return a password
> >> authorisation failed message.

You must have some other problem: I have at least one POP account
with full-stop (".") in the username and tbird handles it fine.
You're talking about the "User Name" field on the "server settings"
page of the "Account Settings" dialog? WFM.

Leonidas Jones

Gunther wrote:

> You must have some other problem: I have at least one POP account
> with full-stop (".") in the username and tbird handles it fine.
> You're talking about the "User Name" field on the "server settings"
> page of the "Account Settings" dialog? WFM.

Perhaps. I misinterpreted the (to me) unfamiliar term "full stop". I
wouldn't have expected it to be a period.

Lee

Samuel B.

no in that part it is written fine G.
the only part where I've been able to find something in common with the two accounts that have full stops is in the "password manager", it displays both
the accounts that are returning that password failed message, as having the "%2E" thing, and im just figuring it is most likely something to do with that as its the stored passwords section, and the error message im getting is about passwords not accepted? (btw ii have tried setting everything up again, and entering passwords manually-same result)

I have a post running on mozillazine (link to my thread), Re: this problem, which has some ideas there, but I am not sure how to follow them through

it talks about security settings and such, but I have another account on the same server, checked by the same client, etc.. etc. and the only thing diff. is the full stop?

Samuel B. wrote:

Hi folks..... fairly straightforward question. when thunderbird submits my username to check my mail, it apppears to be replacing full stops with "%2E" i am assuming this is the problem as both my accounts with full stops have this and both return a password authorisation failed message.

You must have some other problem: I have at least one POP account with full-stop (".") in the username and tbird handles it fine. You're talking about the "User Name" field on the "server settings" page of the "Account Settings" dialog? WFM. G