Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > call external script - fork

call external script - fork

cerr

Hi There,

I would like to start one of my perl scripts out of the one i'm
running and it should have it's parallel process and be totally
decoupled from the currently running script. I tried around with
system("/my/other/script.pl ARG1 ARG2"); and exec("/my/other/script.pl
ARG1 ARG2"); with and without & at the back but nothing quite did it
for me the way i imagined that. What am i doing wrongly?

Thanks,
--
roN

cerr

On Mar 24, 4:17*pm, Ben Morrow <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Quoth cerr <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

> > I would like to start one of my perl scripts out of the one i'm
> > running and it should have it's parallel process and be totally
> > decoupled from the currently running script. I tried around with
> > system("/my/other/script.pl ARG1 ARG2"); and exec("/my/other/script.pl
> > ARG1 ARG2"); with and without & at the back but nothing quite did it
> > for me the way i imagined that. What am i doing wrongly?

> What have you tried exactly, and how is it not doing what you want?
>
> system("... &") will allow the command you run to continue after your
> main process exits, and the main process will not be notified when it
> exits; it is still partially connected to the original process, though,
> since it's still in the same process group and still in the same
> session. Both of these can be fixed, if necessary, but you need to be
> sure they are what is causing your problem.

Yeah, I got it going properly now with system("...&"); That in fact
was just a confusion on my side, so nevermind but anyways, thank you
for attempting to help!

--
roN

os.fork and pty.fork Eric Snow Python 0 01-08-2009 06:32 AM
fork call anshul1806@gmail.com C Programming 21 05-25-2006 01:12 AM
Create references to external scipt files from within an external script file Mellow Crow Javascript 6 11-04-2005 01:16 PM
Call external file with <script src="content.js"></script> insteadof SSI. BlueŽ Javascript 10 05-27-2005 08:45 PM
os.fork() different in cgi-script? Andreas Kuntzagk Python 7 07-02-2003 08:04 PM

Advertisments