Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > keeping Mozilla in memory

keeping Mozilla in memory

wc

I am using Mozilla 1.7. With every version I have used, it will not stay in
memory when I shut down the computer, even though I have gone to Edit,
preferences, advanced, and then checked "keep in memory" . . . thus a long
wait when I click on the browser to appear.

I have previous versions of Netscape 4.8 and also 7.1 on my computer, would
they be the cause of this?

Any advice or instruction will be appreciaated.

Chuck

Grinder

wc wrote:
> I am using Mozilla 1.7. With every version I have used, it will not
> stay in
> memory when I shut down the computer, even though I have gone to Edit,
> preferences, advanced, and then checked "keep in memory" . . . thus a
> long
> wait when I click on the browser to appear.
>
> I have previous versions of Netscape 4.8 and also 7.1 on my computer, would
> they be the cause of this?
>
> Any advice or instruction will be appreciaated.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your dilemma, but I don't think you can
expect anything to remain in memory when you computer is shut down.
Short of a tiny bit of memory for BIOS, all memory is cleared when the
power is turned off.

William W. Plummer

Grinder wrote:
> wc wrote:
>
>> I am using Mozilla 1.7. With every version I have used, it will not
>> stay in
>> memory when I shut down the computer, even though I have gone to Edit,
>> preferences, advanced, and then checked "keep in memory" . . . thus
>> a long
>> wait when I click on the browser to appear.
>>
>> I have previous versions of Netscape 4.8 and also 7.1 on my computer,
>> would
>> they be the cause of this?
>>
>> Any advice or instruction will be appreciaated.

> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your dilemma, but I don't think you can
> expect anything to remain in memory when you computer is shut down.
> Short of a tiny bit of memory for BIOS, all memory is cleared when the
> power is turned off.

I believe "keep in memory" applies when you close Mozilla, rather than
turn off your computer. Mozilla does not give back its RAM area for use
by other programs and the O/S. So, it's there waiting when you start
Mozilla again.

However, depending on your machine, you can "suspend" its operation
rather than "shut down". This is similar to a power off but keeps
enough around to restart after putting the memory and CPU in a low-power
sleep state. "Hibernate" is related and saves the whole machine state
in a file and restores it when power is next turned on. Hibernate is
very slow, so it's best to keep your house in order and do a normal
power-down.

slacK_

Grinder wrote:

> wc wrote:
>
>> I am using Mozilla 1.7. With every version I have used, it will not
>> stay in
>> memory when I shut down the computer, even though I have gone to Edit,
>> preferences, advanced, and then checked "keep in memory" . . . thus
>> a long
>> wait when I click on the browser to appear.
>>
>> I have previous versions of Netscape 4.8 and also 7.1 on my computer,
>> would
>> they be the cause of this?
>>
>> Any advice or instruction will be appreciaated.

> Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your dilemma, but I don't think you can
> expect anything to remain in memory when you computer is shut down.
> Short of a tiny bit of memory for BIOS, all memory is cleared when the
> power is turned off.

I think he means that when he turns back on the computer mozilla is no
longer loaded. Along with the "keep in memory" check box I think there
is a option to load mozilla when the computer starts up. If not go to
start and run and type "msconfig" without the quotes and look for
startup items on one of the tabs and make sure Mozilla is checked.