Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Error when combining threads and system()

Error when combining threads and system()

Willem

Mark wrote:
) On Jan 8, 10:51*am, Willem <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
)> Hi,
)>
)> I'm having a weird problem involving threads and calls to system()
)>
)> Note: it only fails on some systems, notably a Windows NT 2003 server.
)>
)> The issue is that when I call system() in the main thread, everything works
)> like it should, but when I call it in a subthread, it fails with the
)> following message:

<snip>

) I was unable to recreate the problem on my W2003 server with perl
) 5.8.6 and this may be reaching but it could be a file security issue
) with cmd.exe.
)
) Non-administrator interactive users have Read+Execute permission on
) %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe. But, if the system has classified your
) process thread as non-interactive and not in the Administrators group,
) the thread will not have read access to cmd.exe which would account
) for the "No such file or directory" error. Check out the permissions
) on cmd.exe and note the special "INTERACTIVE" group and the
) permissions assigned.
)
) You might try adding Read+Execute permisson to cmd.exe for whatever
) user context the thread runs under. If it works then it's a
) permission problem and you can go from there.

That sounds very plausible. Since then, I've had the same problem with
running a service (PerlSvc) which gave similar errors on trying to execute
backtick or pipe-open commands. Also only on that WinNT4.0 server.

I'll look into it tomorrow, thanks for the hint!

SaSW, Willem
drugged or something..
#EOT