Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?

call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?

kevin bailey

how do i
call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?

platform
win2k
iis (the one that comes with win2k)
sql server 2000 - with a test dts package ready to be called
..NET framework 1.1 installed and working correctly
web matrix is being used to create the files.

would prefer some example code in VB.NET but anything which works would be
fine.

what libraries need to be referenced - how can i search for them?

and surely i don't have to carry out everything in the

cookbook at sqldev.net

kev

kevin bailey

kevin bailey wrote:

> how do i
> call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?

that should be an ASP page - and this is using ASP.NET

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBNVlA=?=

Consider using a Process object to fire off dtsrun.exe. It is one of the
easiest ways to program the funcationality you desire once the package is
created (can be created in SQL Server designer and exported to the file sys).

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

"kevin bailey" wrote:

> how do i
> call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?
>
> platform
> win2k
> iis (the one that comes with win2k)
> sql server 2000 - with a test dts package ready to be called
> ..NET framework 1.1 installed and working correctly
> web matrix is being used to create the files.
>
> would prefer some example code in VB.NET but anything which works would be
> fine.
>
> what libraries need to be referenced - how can i search for them?
>
> and surely i don't have to carry out everything in the
>
> cookbook at sqldev.net
>
> kev

kevin bailey

Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP wrote:

> Consider using a Process object to fire off dtsrun.exe. It is one of the
> easiest ways to program the funcationality you desire once the package is
> created (can be created in SQL Server designer and exported to the file
> sys).

i did see that but have had huge problems in windows when trying to run
command line programs from ASP pages - very often meant that IIS crashed
and we never got to the bottom of it - project was dumped in the end.

also - we need to be able to pass parameters into the calling of the DTS
package - and dtsrun.exe does not seem to allow for parameters,

cheers - kev

> ---
>
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
>
> ***************************
> Think Outside the Box!
> ***************************
>
> "kevin bailey" wrote:
>
>> how do i
>> call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?
>>
>> platform
>> win2k
>> iis (the one that comes with win2k)
>> sql server 2000 - with a test dts package ready to be called
>> ..NET framework 1.1 installed and working correctly
>> web matrix is being used to create the files.
>>
>> would prefer some example code in VB.NET but anything which works would
>> be fine.
>>
>> what libraries need to be referenced - how can i search for them?
>>
>> and surely i don't have to carry out everything in the
>>
>> cookbook at sqldev.net
>>
>> kev

Jeff Dillon

There is a COM DTS object model that you can use

Jeff
"kevin bailey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cnlfrk$2os$2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP wrote:
>
> > Consider using a Process object to fire off dtsrun.exe. It is one of the
> > easiest ways to program the funcationality you desire once the package

is
> > created (can be created in SQL Server designer and exported to the file
> > sys).
> >

> i did see that but have had huge problems in windows when trying to run
> command line programs from ASP pages - very often meant that IIS crashed
> and we never got to the bottom of it - project was dumped in the end.
>
> also - we need to be able to pass parameters into the calling of the DTS
> package - and dtsrun.exe does not seem to allow for parameters,
>
> cheers - kev
>
> > ---
> >
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> >
> > ***************************
> > Think Outside the Box!
> > ***************************
> >
> > "kevin bailey" wrote:
> >
> >> how do i
> >> call, run or execute a DTS package from an APS (aspx) page?
> >>
> >> platform
> >> win2k
> >> iis (the one that comes with win2k)
> >> sql server 2000 - with a test dts package ready to be called
> >> ..NET framework 1.1 installed and working correctly
> >> web matrix is being used to create the files.
> >>
> >> would prefer some example code in VB.NET but anything which works would
> >> be fine.
> >>
> >> what libraries need to be referenced - how can i search for them?
> >>
> >> and surely i don't have to carry out everything in the
> >>
> >> cookbook at sqldev.net
> >>
> >> kev

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

For one recent project, I actually tried this, but gave up and switched to
coding my own transformation using ADO.NET and a couple of data adapters.
This is one that could be parameterized pretty simply. It's not that messy
to do it with ADO.NET.

DTS gets easier in SQL Server 2005.

news:%23e%(E-Mail Removed)...