Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > understanding \Q \E

understanding \Q \E

Jürgen Exner

Tad J McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[about calling perldoc from command line]
>> Just for reference: it works exactly the same way from a MS Windows
>> command line, too.

>I thought I had heard that it didn't for AS Perl and that the
>docs in that distro were only in HTML.
>
>Is that accurate?

If "AS" stands for ActiveState Perl then at least for older versions
both statements are false. AS does install perldoc, it works just fine,
and the documentation is available in POD and HTML.

Can't comment on 5.10 because I haven't updated to it yet.

>Does Strawberry Perl install "perldoc" and the PODs?

Don't know, have never used it.

jue

A. Sinan Unur

Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Tad J McClellan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Jürgen Exner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [about calling perldoc from command line]
>>> Just for reference: it works exactly the same way from a MS Windows
>>> command line, too.

>>I thought I had heard that it didn't for AS Perl and that the
>>docs in that distro were only in HTML.
>>
>>Is that accurate?

> If "AS" stands for ActiveState Perl then at least for older versions
> both statements are false. AS does install perldoc, it works just
> fine, and the documentation is available in POD and HTML.
>
> Can't comment on 5.10 because I haven't updated to it yet.

ActiveState Perl (including 5.10) has included with perldoc, standard
pod documentation and the HTML version ever since the first time I
installed an ActiveState distribution (circa 5.6 something).

>>Does Strawberry Perl install "perldoc" and the PODs?

Yes it does. It does not install HTML docs however.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <(E-Mail Removed)>

http://www.rehabitation.com/clpmisc/