Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Generate Word and Powerpoint files

Generate Word and Powerpoint files

Daniel Parry

I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
system. Populated with various random words from a dictionary to
create various different size files. I have this working for:
Excel, HTML, JSON, ODT, PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped
a bit for doc and ppt. Any one have any suggestions for hacks that
might make these last two formats possible, which don't include
starting up a windows instance somehow (^_^)

Thanks and best wishes,

Daniel

ccc31807

On May 19, 11:23*am, Daniel Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
> system.

Create XML documents using OOXML. It's as easy as using Perl for HTML
documents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Open_XML

http://rep.oio.dk/Microsoft.com/offi...ml_article.htm

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/PresentationML

CC

smallpond

On May 19, 11:23*am, Daniel Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
> system. Populated with various random words from a dictionary to
> create various different size files. I have this working for:
> Excel, HTML, JSON, ODT, PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped
> a bit for doc and ppt. Any one have any suggestions for hacks that
> might make these last two formats possible, which don't include
> starting up a windows instance somehow (^_^)
>
> Thanks and best wishes,
>
> Daniel

Please post a spec for those formats.

Ben Bullock

On Tue, 19 May 2009 15:23:36 +0000, Daniel Parry wrote:

> I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based system.
> Populated with various random words from a dictionary to create various
> different size files. I have this working for: Excel, HTML, JSON, ODT,
> PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped a bit for doc and ppt. Any
> one have any suggestions for hacks that might make these last two
> formats possible, which don't include starting up a windows instance
> somehow (^_^)

On Linux you could create your file in HTML or some other format and then
have OpenOffice.org save it in Microsoft Word's .doc or .ppt formats.

I don't know how to automate OpenOffice.org but I imagine it's possible.

Daniel Parry

On 2009-05-19, smallpond <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Please post a spec for those formats.

In essence, I'm after formats suitable for testing the text
extraction capabilities of the java JCR jackrabbit system. I
believe jackrabbit is moving towards using apache tika, so the
formats are likely those listed here:

http://lucene.apache.org/tika/formats.html

Though I am particularly interested in word and power point docs,
which likely means the OLE2 Compound Document format?

Best wishes,

Daniel

Ben Bullock

On Tue, 19 May 2009 10:41:46 -0700, smallpond wrote:

> On May 19, 11:23*am, Daniel Parry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'd like to generate word and power point files on a linux based
>> system. Populated with various random words from a dictionary to create
>> various different size files. I have this working for: Excel, HTML,
>> JSON, ODT, PDF, RTF, Text, and XML format but stumped a bit for doc and
>> ppt. Any one have any suggestions for hacks that might make these last
>> two formats possible, which don't include starting up a windows
>> instance somehow (^_^)

> Please post a spec for those formats.

The specs for the Office formats can be found at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc313118.aspx