Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perl qt with cygwin?

perl qt with cygwin?

rabbits77

I am trying to get perl qt to work under cygwin
and am not having much luck.
I have KDE and QT installed. Everything should just compile and go
but this is not the case.
Googling reveals nothing but very old threads from various sources
that don't help.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get perl qt running under cygwin?

Owen

On Jan 31, 9:15 am, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am trying to get perl qt to work under cygwin
> and am not having much luck.
> I have KDE and QT installed. Everything should just compile and go
> but this is not the case.
> Googling reveals nothing but very old threads from various sources
> that don't help.
> Does anyone have any advice on how to get perl qt running under cygwin?

Are their any error messages?

Owen

rabbits77

Owen wrote:
> On Jan 31, 9:15 am, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am trying to get perl qt to work under cygwin
>> and am not having much luck.
>> I have KDE and QT installed. Everything should just compile and go
>> but this is not the case.
>> Googling reveals nothing but very old threads from various sources
>> that don't help.
>> Does anyone have any advice on how to get perl qt running under cygwin?

> Are their any error messages?

No matter what I do it always fails with a complaint that it cannot find
kde-config.
kde-config is in my PATH. KDE is installed on my machine...
everything should be ok.
Looking at the configure script I suspect that the script is
expecting some output and when I run kde-config manually it just
silently exits. My next course of action is to fiddle with the
configure script but I haven't done that yet.
If I am the only person with these problems I suppose I could
keep some notes about what I am doing and if I get it
to work somehow.
I was hoping though that this was a problem that had already
been solved.

Owen

On Jan 31, 4:40 pm, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Owen wrote:
> > On Jan 31, 9:15 am, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> I am trying to get perl qt to work under cygwin
> >> and am not having much luck.
> >> I have KDE and QT installed. Everything should just compile and go
> >> but this is not the case.
> >> Googling reveals nothing but very old threads from various sources
> >> that don't help.
> >> Does anyone have any advice on how to get perl qt running under cygwin?

> > Are their any error messages?

> No matter what I do it always fails with a complaint that it cannot find
> kde-config.
> kde-config is in my PATH. KDE is installed on my machine...
> everything should be ok.
> Looking at the configure script I suspect that the script is
> expecting some output and when I run kde-config manually it just
> silently exits. My next course of action is to fiddle with the
> configure script but I haven't done that yet.
> If I am the only person with these problems I suppose I could
> keep some notes about what I am doing and if I get it
> to work somehow.
> I was hoping though that this was a problem that had already
> been solved.

Well I can't offer suggestions. Presumably entering # env|grep PATH
gives /usr/bin as one path? No conflict with kde4 and kde?

What are the actual words of the complaint. Look in the config log
where it fails to see what it was actually doing before the failure.
Might give a clue as to how it was looking for it

Don't fiddle with configure unless you know what you are doing

Owen

zentara

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:58:54 -0800 (PST), Owen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 31, 4:40 pm, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Owen wrote:

>> > Are their any error messages?

>> No matter what I do it always fails with a complaint that it cannot find
>> kde-config.

As far as I know, the Perl Qt module is very old and has not been
keeping up with KDE development.... so unless you have found some new
version of Perl/Qt, just forget about using it, it is obsolete and not
actively maintained. The module on CPAN is version 0.03 and dated 1997.

zentara

http://www.zentara.net/~zentaran/Rem...y_You_Are.html

rabbits77

zentara wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 23:58:54 -0800 (PST), Owen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> No matter what I do it always fails with a complaint that it cannot find
>>> kde-config.

> As far as I know, the Perl Qt module is very old and has not been
> keeping up with KDE development.... so unless you have found some new
> version of Perl/Qt, just forget about using it, it is obsolete and not
> actively maintained. The module on CPAN is version 0.03 and dated 1997.

I am trying one from Sourceforge. The release is dated 10 July 2005.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlqt

zentara

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:11:21 -0500, rabbits77 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>zentara wrote:

>> As far as I know, the Perl Qt module is very old and has not been
>> keeping up with KDE development.... so unless you have found some new
>> version of Perl/Qt, just forget about using it, it is obsolete and not
>> actively maintained. The module on CPAN is version 0.03 and dated 1997.

>I am trying one from Sourceforge. The release is dated 10 July 2005.
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/perlqt

That is still very old, considering the way KDE is rapidly
developed/changed. This is 2009.

The general concensus among Perl GUI users is Qt dosn't work,
because it is not keeping up with the KDE lib releases.
I don't know why the module author gave up on it.... maybe the
restrictive license....maybe the C++.... maybe the difficulty of
managing the xs code to access the libs.

Try Perl Gtk2, if you want something that works and is up to date.
It works.