Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > What do you need to have to be considered a Master at Perl?

What do you need to have to be considered a Master at Perl?

sln@netherlands.com

I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:

- Technically expert at Regular Expressions
- Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
- Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
- Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references

Add some more...

sln

Tim Greer

> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>
> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references
>
> Add some more...
>
> sln

And a lot more...

sln@netherlands.com

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:46:48 -0800, Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>>
>> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
>> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
>> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
>> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references
>>
>> Add some more...
>>
>> sln

>And a lot more...

Some more, add some

sln

Tim Greer

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:46:48 -0800, Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>>>
>>> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
>>> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
>>> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
>>> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references
>>>
>>> Add some more...
>>>
>>> sln

>>And a lot more...

> Some more, add some
>
> sln

You listed map/split/grep and mentioned regular expressions. You then
mentioned arrays, hashes and slices/references. That's pretty
rudementary. There is a heck of a lot more someone would need to know
(well) to be considered an expert. I don't see the point of listing a
ton of things, and it's hardly about listing things that would actually
define someone as an expert (or "master") anyway. I don't see the
purpose of this thread, so I won't post to it again.

Jürgen Exner

Tim Greer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
[I don't see posts from robic0 aka sln, therefore answering to you]
>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>> Some more, add some

Trivial: please see "perldoc perl" for a comprehensive list.

jue

Randal L. Schwartz

sln> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
sln> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
sln> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
sln> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
sln> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references

Someone who doesn't say:

"Post all your souce code to.. trashbin.com "

perhaps. Or

"There is no such thing as a C++ program. There are only programs
written in C++ (or other languages). "

Or even ask the question:

"I need to permute the 26,25,24,... letters of the alphabet. "

cartercc

On Jan 15, 6:06*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>
> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references

From time to time I apply for different jobs, not really needing a new
job but looking for better opportunities, and twice I have gotten as
far as taking a Perl programming exam. I'm not a real programmer but
have done a fair amount of web stuff, database stuff, sys admin, and
data processing, and don't consider my skills exceptional.

In both exams, I placed in the top quintile, which surprised me very
much. In both cases, I had made it through two rounds of interviews.
My take is that there must be a lot of people who claim to know Perl
but maybe they don't.

I've been using Perl consistently for about ten years, and I guess if
you do anything for that long you tend to develop some skill at it.

CC

Jürgen Exner

Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>(E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>>
>> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
>> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
>> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
>> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references
>>
>> Add some more...

>Someone who understands the Chomsky hierarchy, and why not every context-
>free language can be described with a regular grammar.

)

YMMD

jue

rabbits77

Sherm Pendley wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> I'm just going to jumstart the topic with these:
>>
>> - Technically expert at Regular Expressions
>> - Analytically and Creative at Regular Expressions
>> - Thoroughly adept at map/split/grep, know limitations
>> - Arrays and Hashes, including slices and references
>>
>> Add some more...

> Someone who understands the Chomsky hierarchy, and why not every context-
> free language can be described with a regular grammar.

BFD, that describes just about every CS undergraduate who has taken
a theory course.
Unfortunately, I think you might be surprised to learn that CFLs aren't
that impressive a concept. :-/

Tim Greer

cartercc wrote:

> In both exams, I placed in the top quintile, which surprised me very
> much. In both cases, I had made it through two rounds of interviews.
> My take is that there must be a lot of people who claim to know Perl
> but maybe they don't.

You will pretty much find that's the case with any language. Due to
this, sometimes a qualified programmer doesn't get a job in those
cases, because the current "programmers" are threatened by you. Also,
because the current programmers have convinced the equally clueless
boss, that their methods are best. Those are the jobs that few
qualified programmers want, because you are actually forced to work in
bad code and they won't want to change it (or see a need to). That's
when you start encountering companies that think AWS is the future,
because no one actually had to program (you just pay a service online
for the data transfer, disk space, the number of requests, and use of
their service).