Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Is someone trying to delete this group?

Reply
Thread Tools

Is someone trying to delete this group?

 
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
following in the thread list here:

<quote>
From: bleachbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: cmsg cancel
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Control: cancel
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
Organization: Nowhere Corp.
Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Approved: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Message-ID:
<(E-Mail Removed)>
[...]
X-Original-Message-ID:
<(E-Mail Removed)>
X-Original-Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:49:53 -0800 (PST)
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 58.22.140.157**
</quote>
(** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)


And more recently:

<quote>
From: udpbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
Subject: cmsg cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
Control: cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
Organization: Nowhere Corp.
Sender: Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
[...]
X-Original-Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
X-Original-Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:24:46 -0600
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gpftor2.privacyfoundation.de
</quote>


The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now, and the
ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot" seems to somehow
be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know that was
possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from superfeed.net...

I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group in
any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems my
server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't there
anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to change each
time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's akin to
mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.

--
Thanks, Rom.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Greer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Rom wrote:

> Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
> following in the thread list here:
>
> <quote>
> From: bleachbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
> Subject: cmsg cancel
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Control: cancel
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
> Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
> Message-ID:
>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
> [...]
> X-Original-Message-ID:
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> X-Original-Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:49:53 -0800 (PST)
> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 58.22.140.157**
> </quote>
> (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)
>
>
> And more recently:
>
> <quote>
> From: udpbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
> Subject: cmsg cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Control: cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
> Sender: Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
> Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> [...]
> X-Original-Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
> X-Original-Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:24:46 -0600
> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gpftor2.privacyfoundation.de
> </quote>
>
>
> The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
> and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
> seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
> that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
> superfeed.net...
>
> I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this group
> in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any servers... seems
> my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these are bogus, isn't
> there anything that can be done? I know the nntp-posting-host seems to
> change each time, so I don't if any real tracing can be done... it's
> akin to mass-spamming using botnets or something similar.
>


Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
itself).

Canceled spam posts/examples:

The (E-Mail Removed) "poster" posted a spam with:


Re: Hyvää Joulua
From:
Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date:
Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc
Followup-To:
sfnet.harrastus.biljardi,sfnet.harrastus.perhoset, sfnet.urheilu,comp.lang.perl.misc
References: 1



The iokicks "poster":



(WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
$50(FREE SHIPPING)
From:
www.iofferkicks.com <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date:
Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
Groups:
comp.lang.perl.misc
X-User-Agent:
G2/1.0
Organization:
http://groups.google.com
no references




You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).
--
Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Greer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Tim Greer wrote:

> Rom wrote:
>
>> Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
>> following in the thread list here:
>>
>> <quote>
>> From: bleachbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
>> Subject: cmsg cancel
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Control: cancel
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
>> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
>> Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
>> Message-ID:
>>

>

<(E-Mail Removed)>
>> [...]
>> X-Original-Message-ID:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> X-Original-Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:49:53 -0800 (PST)
>> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 58.22.140.157**
>> </quote>
>> (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)
>>
>>
>> And more recently:
>>
>> <quote>
>> From: udpbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
>> Subject: cmsg cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Control: cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
>> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
>> Sender: Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
>> Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> [...]
>> X-Original-Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> X-Original-Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:24:46 -0600
>> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gpftor2.privacyfoundation.de
>> </quote>
>>
>>
>> The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
>> and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
>> seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
>> that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
>> superfeed.net...
>>
>> I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this
>> group in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any
>> servers... seems my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if these
>> are bogus, isn't there anything that can be done? I know the
>> nntp-posting-host seems to change each time, so I don't if any real
>> tracing can be done... it's akin to mass-spamming using botnets or
>> something similar.
>>

>
> Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
> them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
> posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
> well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
> itself).
>
> Canceled spam posts/examples:
>
> The (E-Mail Removed) "poster" posted a spam with:
>
>
> Re: Hyvää Joulua
> From:
> Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date:
> Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
> Groups:
> comp.lang.perl.misc
> Followup-To:
>

sfnet.harrastus.biljardi,sfnet.harrastus.perhoset, sfnet.urheilu,comp.lang.perl.misc
> References: 1
>
>
>
> The iokicks "poster":
>
>
>
> (WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
> $50(FREE SHIPPING)
> From:
> www.iofferkicks.com <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date:
> Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
> Groups:
> comp.lang.perl.misc
> X-User-Agent:
> G2/1.0
> Organization:
> http://groups.google.com
> no references
>
>
>
>
> You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
> to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
> altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
> some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).


Actually, re-reading it, I suppose it might not have anything to do with
google groups. Still, the reasons and worries are the same (and
there's nothing to worry about).
--
Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Greer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.
--
Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Tim Greer wrote:
> Rom wrote:
>
>> Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
>> following in the thread list here:
>>
>> <quote>
>> From: bleachbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
>> Subject: cmsg cancel
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Control: cancel
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:49:53 +0100
>> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
>> Sender: "www.iofferkicks.com" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
>> Message-ID:
>>

> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> [...]
>> X-Original-Message-ID:
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> X-Original-Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:49:53 -0800 (PST)
>> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 58.22.140.157**
>> </quote>
>> (** seems to be different in each one from this poster.)
>>
>>
>> And more recently:
>>
>> <quote>
>> From: udpbot <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
>> Subject: cmsg cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Control: cancel <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 02:28:40 +0100
>> Organization: Nowhere Corp.
>> Sender: Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Approved: (E-Mail Removed)
>> Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> [...]
>> X-Original-Message-ID: <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> X-Original-Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:24:46 -0600
>> X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: gpftor2.privacyfoundation.de
>> </quote>
>>
>>
>> The ones from "bleachbot" are what I've been seeing for a while now,
>> and the ones from "udpbot" seems to have just started. "bleachbot"
>> seems to somehow be doing it from Google groups -- I didn't even know
>> that was possible??!! -- and "udpbot"'s appear to originate from
>> superfeed.net...
>>
>> I would simply like to know what the hell is going on... is this
>> group in any danager from being deleted (canceled) from any
>> servers... seems my server (at&t) is still carrying it. Even if
>> these are bogus, isn't there anything that can be done? I know the
>> nntp-posting-host seems to change each time, so I don't if any real
>> tracing can be done... it's akin to mass-spamming using botnets or
>> something similar.
>>

>
> Those appear to be spam postings and google groups might have removed
> them, but they are still there. Also, it's canceling of the spam
> posts/messages, not the actual group. The group is still alive and
> well (you delete posts (cancel, supercede, etc.), not the group
> itself).
>
> Canceled spam posts/examples:
>
> The (E-Mail Removed) "poster" posted a spam with:
>
>
> Re: Hyv Joulua
> From:
> Jonni <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date:
> Saturday 10 January 2009 5:24:46 pm
> Groups:
> comp.lang.perl.misc
> Followup-To:
> sfnet.harrastus.biljardi,sfnet.harrastus.perhoset, sfnet.urheilu,comp.lang.perl.misc
> References: 1
>
>
>
> The iokicks "poster":
>
>
>
> (WWW.spamurl.COM)nike shoes:$32,handbag:$35,NFL:$20,jeans:$30,UGG boot
> $50(FREE SHIPPING)
> From:
> www.iofferkicks.com <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Date:
> Friday 09 January 2009 11:49:53 am
> Groups:
> comp.lang.perl.misc
> X-User-Agent:
> G2/1.0
> Organization:
> http://groups.google.com
> no references
>
>
>
>
> You get the idea. There's nothing to worry about. Google isn't going
> to drop the Perl news group, unless they just stop their service
> altogether (though I don't know how many would actually miss it, and
> some welcome it -- I do miss the old DejaNews though).
> --
> Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
> Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
> and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
> Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!


A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back from
vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the correction

--
Thanks, Rom.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rom
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Tim Greer wrote:
> Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
> part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.



No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
(elementary) school can see such a difference

--
Thanks, Rom.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Greer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Rom wrote:

> A, silly me, yes I clearly misread those... yeah cancel is for Posts,
> rmgroup (or something similar) is for group removals. I just got back
> from vacation so my head hasn't quite settled, so thanks for the
> correction


What's this... "Vay-kay-shun" thing, and where would I inquire for
one?

Anyway, glad the mystery was solved.
--
Tim Greer, CEO/Founder/CTO, BurlyHost.com, Inc.
Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Dedicated & Semi-Dedicated servers
and Custom Hosting. 24/7 support, 30 day guarantee, secure servers.
Industry's most experienced staff! -- Web Hosting With Muscle!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tad J McClellan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
Rom <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Over the past couple months or so, I've been seeing messages like the
> following in the thread list here:
>
><quote>
> From: bleachbot <(E-Mail Removed)>



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancelbot

http://home.httrack.net/~nocem/


--
Tad McClellan
email: perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/moc.noitatibaher\100cmdat/"
 
Reply With Quote
 
George
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 22:11:29 -0800, Rom wrote:

> Tim Greer wrote:
>> Ugh, I didn't notice I left some of the spammer post's actual URL in
>> part of one of my quotes. Sorry about that.

>
>
> No worries, you were just giving an example, and clearly not endorsing or
> pushing it. I think it's safe to say anyone whose sucessfully passed primary
> (elementary) school can see such a difference


Rom,

One of the spammers is apparently a finnish guy with no other audience for
his unique perspectives in science.

What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .

I wonder why that is?
--
George

You can't put democracy and freedom back into a box.
George W. Bush

Picture of the Day http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter J. Holzer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-11-2009
On 2009-01-11 21:33, George <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What you may not know is that you might expect comp.lang.perl to be the
> place where you talk about perl on usenet. Not so, it's c.l.p.misc .
>
> I wonder why that is?


It used to be comp.lang.perl, but at some point the group grew too
large, so it was split into several groups. When a newsgroup is split,
by convention one of the "subgroups" is named ".misc" for "general
discussions which don't fit into any of the the specialized subgroups".

comp.lang.perl doesn't exist any more, so you can't talk about perl
there.

hp
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trying to understand someone else's VHDL code jamesd.snyder@gmail.com VHDL 3 10-29-2007 08:31 PM
Is someone trying to access my pc or what? nebula NZ Computing 31 09-02-2005 08:53 AM
Can someone tell me why I can't delete this file? and why it blue screens WinXP Pro on delete? zZz Computer Support 1 01-12-2005 02:37 AM
Trying to display the decimal...can someone help? TN Bella ASP .Net 3 06-22-2004 12:57 PM
Is someone trying to hack my Web Host? wilkinsb1971@yahoo.com Computer Security 12 10-12-2003 02:09 AM



Advertisments