Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Huge SQL query and ASP.NET...Question of efficiency

Huge SQL query and ASP.NET...Question of efficiency

The Eeediot

Hello, again, ASPdotNET gurus!

I have a performance question for the group:

This may be a typical type of scenario but I'm still a newbie. I am trying to display the purchase history of customer accounts from a warehousing database. I am displaying the result(s) using a DataGrid in ASP.NET 1.1 pulling the data from an MS-SQL 2000 server. These results are being displayed through the company's Intranet.

I have the basic query setup that pulls the basic purhcase history from the SQL server. Now, I need to add some bells-and-whistles that only show sales from the current year, under a specific product code(s), etc. Would it be better to perform these queries / searches on the DataSet stored on the Web server or get the SQL server to perform these operations?

TIA...

Jason MacKenzie

I could be wrong but I would think it would make far more sense to only return the records that you need from SQL?

Why return a bunch of records you're only going to filter out anyway?
"The Eeediot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
Hello, again, ASPdotNET gurus!

I have a performance question for the group:

This may be a typical type of scenario but I'm still a newbie. I am trying to display the purchase history of customer accounts from a warehousing database. I am displaying the result(s) using a DataGrid in ASP.NET 1.1 pulling the data from an MS-SQL 2000 server. These results are being displayed through the company's Intranet.

I have the basic query setup that pulls the basic purhcase history from the SQL server. Now, I need to add some bells-and-whistles that only show sales from the current year, under a specific product code(s), etc. Would it be better to perform these queries / searches on the DataSet stored on the Web server or get the SQL server to perform these operations?

TIA...

Craig

As a general rule, you want to pull as few records across the wire as possible, so have SQL Server do the work.

HTH.
Craig
[...]

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IENvcmxleSwgTUNTRCwgTUNEQkE=?=

Jason,

If the data does not change frequently or the Web server and SQL Server
are not in close proximity, then caching the data would make sense.

The underlying question is this: do the database objects support frequent
querying of the data (good indexes, narrow tables, stored procedure usage,
etc.)?

Andrew Corley