Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > how to know that the process is idle ?

how to know that the process is idle ?

Nishant

Hello All ,
I have a Perl/Tk application. If the process is idle for say 10
minutes (i.e, someone does not do anything to the application), the
application should perform some action.
Pls suggest how can this be done ?

Best Regards
Nishant Sharma

Peter Makholm

Nishant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I have a Perl/Tk application. If the process is idle for say 10
> minutes (i.e, someone does not do anything to the application), the
> application should perform some action.
> Pls suggest how can this be done ?

By setting an alarm with the alarm function (perldoc -f
alarm). Remember to reset the alarm at the start of the event handler
for each event.

//Makholm

Tad J McClellan

Nishant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[ the same question as posted elsewhere ]

Please do not multipost.

Crosspost instead.

--
Tad McClellan

Jürgen Exner

Nishant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I have a Perl/Tk application. If the process is idle for say 10
>minutes (i.e, someone does not do anything to the application), the
>application should perform some action.
>Pls suggest how can this be done ?

perldoc -q timeout

The slow event in this case is the user input.

jue