Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

Editor with embedded perl interpreter?

Bart Lateur

cartercc wrote:

>On my Windows machine, PPM can't find
>Devel-REPL and CPAN doesn't work (this is running ActiveState).

What do you mean, "CPAN doesn't work"? This is a Pure Perl module, so
installing it with CPAN *should* work. All you have to do is download a
suitable make tool, for example Microsoft's (old but free) nmake. See

http://johnbokma.com/perl/make-for-windows.html

for details.

And second, even though ActiveState's repository doesn't list it,
according to Kobes' Search, there *are* PPM repositories that carry
Devel::REPL, including 1 for perl 5.8. See the bottom of the page at

http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/dist/Devel-REPL

including instructions on how to use that repository, if you click on
its link.

--
Bart.

cartercc

On Nov 13, 9:37*pm, Bart Lateur <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What do you mean, "CPAN doesn't work"?

What I mean is that, when I give the command at the command prompt,
the machine just sits and I have to ctl-C to recover. This is the
command:
perl -MCPAN -e shell
I agree that my phrasing was less than artful.

> And second, even though ActiveState's repository doesn't list it,
> according to Kobes' Search, there *are* PPM repositories that carry
> Devel::REPL, including 1 for perl 5.8.

Okay, I'll look at this. Thanks for your help.

CC

Paolo

> I see two things here, both of which I would classify as semi-
> important.

....as for me "editor with perl-interpreter embedded" means the
chance for execution of "perl-script" on selected part of a text.

example:

[...] (...)
....this is only an (100)
example... (101)
[...] (...)

if i select the line 100, 101 and run the script suppress-dots (included
in library of script executable...), i obtain:

[...] (...)
this is only an (100)
example (101)
[...] (...)

This result is easily carried out with external perl-script but i've
to manage text file I/O.

RedGrittyBrick

Paolo wrote:
>> I see two things here, both of which I would classify as semi-
>> important.

> ...as for me "editor with perl-interpreter embedded" means the
> chance for execution of "perl-script" on selected part of a text.
>
> example:
>
> [...] (...)
> ...this is only an (100)
> example... (101)
> [...] (...)
>
> if i select the line 100, 101 and run the script suppress-dots (included
> in library of script executable...), i obtain:
>
> [...] (...)
> this is only an (100)
> example (101)
> [...] (...)
>
> This result is easily carried out with external perl-script but i've
> to manage text file I/O.

Did you want something like the following?

In vim
:100,101!suppress_dots.pl

--
RGB

Bart Lateur

cartercc wrote:

>What I mean is that, when I give the command at the command prompt,
>the machine just sits and I have to ctl-C to recover. This is the
>command:
>perl -MCPAN -e shell

That starts the shell, i.e. it's waiting for yoru commands.

Try

install Devel::REPL

at the prompt. Type "exit" when finished.

It should work, if you have nmake. Really.

--
Bart.

David Combs

In article <Xns9B54C5F3BAFD0castleamber@130.133.1.4>,
John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Paolo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I don't remember the name of this application for Windows but i've
>> make use of that once.
>>
>> Do you know an editor which allows the execution of Perl-script
>> on selected text?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> The Perl-script are in a submenu of the Tools menu.

>TextPad, see:
>http://johnbokma.com/textpad/textpad-subversion.html
>
>You can run a command on a selection.
>
>And Emacs, of course.

Interesting. HOW?

Easy enough to make a *shell*-buf and run perl from there,
of course, but somehow binding Perl into emacs itself, so
it can act as part of the emacs interpreter? So it could
work on eg "selected text"? (In what way would that be
different from a "region"?)

Thanks!!!!

David