Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Perl -> My SQL - Tutorial or Guide?

Perl -> My SQL - Tutorial or Guide?

me

I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
access to MySQL from Perl. I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
and core SQL in other languages/DB's.

I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).

Thanks,

cartercc

On Nov 10, 2:31*pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
> access to MySQL from Perl. I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
> ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
> and core SQL in other languages/DB's.
>
> I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
> for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).
>
> Thanks,

I highly recommend 'MySQL and Perl for the Web' by Paul Dubois.

I have some criticisms of the book, which I won't discuss, but I can
tell you that I've been reading it for six years and I haven't
exhausted it. I pick it up about once a year, and it amazes me what I
still can learn, after rereading it now all the way through three or
four times, and in bits and pieces a lot more than that.

A caution: I'd make sure you understand Perl references before reading
it. It's okay for SQL, but you really need to be beyond a beginning
stage for Perl.

CC

xhoster@gmail.com

me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
> access to MySQL from Perl.

The general recommended way to access RDBMS from Perl is to use DBI.
See the perldoc for DBI.

For things peculiarities specific to MySQL, see the perldoc for DBD::mysql

> I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
> ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
> and core SQL in other languages/DB's.

I liked "MySQL" by DuBois, which of course is mostly about MySQL itself
but also has chapters on using Perl with MySQL. Since you are already
familiar with SQL from other DBs, the first half may not be as useful to
you as it was to me, but it is probably still quite handy for the Perl
chapters and as a reference.

Xho

this fact.

Todd Wade

On Nov 10, 2:31 pm, me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm looking for some recommended tutorials and/or guide to basic
> access to MySQL from Perl. I'm lightly experienced in Perl, almost
> ignorant of MySQL, and need to jumpstart. I have skills with DB access
> and core SQL in other languages/DB's.
>
> I'll need to be able to do basic access, update, as well as monitor
> for common errors (and conditions/returns I'm too newbie to know of).

_Proggramming the Perl DBI_

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9781565926998/index.html

One of my favorites.

me