Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Format for data exchange?

Format for data exchange?

Roy M

Hello all,

We are using XMLRPC to communicate between servers (cross languages
with PHP and Java) for many years.

Seems nowadays better choices would be YAML, JSON or even Google
protocol buffer?

Which format your are using, and why?

Ted Zlatanov

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:17:44 -0700 (PDT) Roy M <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

RM> We are using XMLRPC to communicate between servers (cross languages
RM> with PHP and Java) for many years.

RM> Seems nowadays better choices would be YAML, JSON or even Google
RM> protocol buffer?

RM> Which format your are using, and why?

If XML-RPC works, keep using it. You can always switch to XML if you
must.

If you need to optimize for speed and your data changes rarely, Google
protocol buffers are decent.

Otherwise, JSON can handle almost anything I've thrown at it, as long as
you're OK with its serialization rules and data types.

Ted