Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to make all available CPU resource to Perl/MySQL in Win XP?

How to make all available CPU resource to Perl/MySQL in Win XP?

evillen@gmail.com

Hi

Sorry that this isn't really a 'Perl' problem, although there may be a
Perl solution...

I am developing a Perl & MySQL application - the problem I have is
that the program takes a while to run and yet when I look at the CPU
utilisation (with SysInternals Process Explorer) I see that the
programs Perl.exe & mysqld-nt.exe are barely using 2% of CPU each.

I have used the SysInternals Process Explorer's "Set Priority" feature
& set both .exe's to Realtime24 but this had negligible effect.

How can I force the .exe's to make better use of the CPU?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions

NJH

Joost Diepenmaat

> I have used the SysInternals Process Explorer's "Set Priority" feature
> & set both .exe's to Realtime24 but this had negligible effect.
>
> How can I force the .exe's to make better use of the CPU?

You want a different algorithm so that you're not waiting on network IO
/ disc IO / other system calls / file locks / database locks.

evillen@gmail.com

On 9 Oct, 09:53, Joost Diepenmaat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I have used the SysInternals Process Explorer's "Set Priority" feature
> > & set both .exe's to Realtime24 but this had negligible effect.

> > How can I force the .exe's to make better use of the CPU?

> You want a different algorithm so that you're not waiting on network IO
> / disc IO / other system calls / file locks / database locks.
>
> --
> Joost Diepenmaat | blog:http://joost.zeekat.nl/| work:http://zeekat.nl/

Can you recommend some way of detecting these 'gating processes' or
'locks'?

There is no Network IO & minimal Disk IO required by my program &
there shouldn't be any files locked as it's all single user & local
resources.

When I look at Process Explorer I can't see that any other process
hogging the CPU/RAM etc.

Thanks

evillen@gmail.com

On 9 Oct, 11:03, bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >> You want a different algorithm so that you're not waiting on network IO
> >> / disc IO / other system calls / file locks / database locks.

> >> --
> >> Joost Diepenmaat | blog:http://joost.zeekat.nl/|work:http://zeekat.nl/

> > Can you recommend some way of detecting these 'gating processes' or
> > 'locks'?

> > There is no Network IO & minimal Disk IO required by my program &
> > there shouldn't be any files locked as it's all single user & local
> > resources.

> > When I look at Process Explorer I can't see that any other process
> > hogging the CPU/RAM etc.

> Interesting - I wonder if there is a LOT of overhead
> in the communication BETWEEN your two processes?
>
> * *BugBear

Hi Bugbear - do you have any suggestions about how I could determine/
measure the overhead required between Perl & MySQL?

xhoster@gmail.com

> > Interesting - I wonder if there is a LOT of overhead
> > in the communication BETWEEN your two processes?
> >

> Hi Bugbear - do you have any suggestions about how I could determine/
> measure the overhead required between Perl & MySQL?

$dbh->ping() foreach 1..1e5;

I can do about 5000 pings per second.

Xho

this fact.

Peter J. Holzer

On 2008-10-09 09:49, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9 Oct, 09:53, Joost Diepenmaat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > I have used the SysInternals Process Explorer's "Set Priority" feature
>> > & set both .exe's to Realtime24 but this had negligible effect.

>> > How can I force the .exe's to make better use of the CPU?

>> You want a different algorithm so that you're not waiting on network IO
>> / disc IO / other system calls / file locks / database locks.

> Can you recommend some way of detecting these 'gating processes'

What are 'gating processes'?

> or 'locks'?

See chapter 7 of the MySQL manual.

> There is no Network IO & minimal Disk IO required by my program &

How did you determine that there is "minimal disk I/O"? Disk I/O is
frequently the bottleneck of database applications. How much time does
Mysql spend in disk I/O?

hp