Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Moving an ASP.NET project to a different computer

Moving an ASP.NET project to a different computer

Dave

I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and want
to create the project on another computer,

There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from the
memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.

But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
message).

So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.

Thanks
Dave

BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

Curt_C [MVP]

It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
through it from there.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and want
> to create the project on another computer,
>
> There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
> project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from
> the
> memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.
>
> But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
> project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
> effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
> message).
>
> So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
> project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

I guess Curt gave u the most reliable solution.
Although it annoying and a lot of work!

"Curt_C [MVP]" wrote:

> It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
> What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
> solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
> through it from there.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and want
> > to create the project on another computer,
> >
> > There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
> > project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from
> > the
> > memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.
> >
> > But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
> > project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
> > effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
> > message).
> >
> > So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
> > project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> > BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

John Saunders

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
> What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
> solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
> through it from there.

For a web application, you need another step. For each web application,
right-click the folder, choose Properties, and then on the Web Sharing tab,
turn on web sharing with the default name on the default web site.
Otherwise, there won't be any http://localhost/MyProject/.

John Saunders

Dave

Thanks guys for the the helpful advice.

Dave

"John Saunders" <johnwsaundersiii at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
> > What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
> > solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
> > through it from there.

> For a web application, you need another step. For each web application,
> right-click the folder, choose Properties, and then on the Web Sharing

tab,
> turn on web sharing with the default name on the default web site.
> Otherwise, there won't be any http://localhost/MyProject/.
>
> John Saunders

Rick Strahl [MVP]

Hi Dave,

I posted a free tool that helps with this process a couple of weeks ago at:

http://www.west-wind.com/tools/WebSiteConfiguration.asp

Basically when you copy a project you typpically have to do a few things:

Copy the files
Create a virtual directory
Possibly set directory permissions
If the virtual name is different fix the VS.NET project

This utility performs these tasks from a single location with a few simple
clicks and you can store a configuration and fire up the utlity with
defaults preconfigured.

I use this all the time for configuring apps and whenever I ship a sample
projects for publication.

REgards,

+++ Rick ---

--

Rick Strahl
West Wind Technologies

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and

want
> to create the project on another computer,
>
> There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
> project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from

the
> memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.
>
> But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
> project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
> effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
> message).
>
> So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
> project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.
>
> Thanks
> Dave
>
> BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

Rick is it free?

"Rick Strahl [MVP]" wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> I posted a free tool that helps with this process a couple of weeks ago at:
>
> http://www.west-wind.com/tools/WebSiteConfiguration.asp
>
> Basically when you copy a project you typpically have to do a few things:
>
> Copy the files
> Create a virtual directory
> Possibly set directory permissions
> If the virtual name is different fix the VS.NET project
>
> This utility performs these tasks from a single location with a few simple
> clicks and you can store a configuration and fire up the utlity with
> defaults preconfigured.
>
> I use this all the time for configuring apps and whenever I ship a sample
> projects for publication.
>
> REgards,
>
> +++ Rick ---
>
> --
>
> Rick Strahl
> West Wind Technologies
> http://www.west-wind.com/
> http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/
> http://www.west-wind.com/wwThreads/
> ----------------------------------
> Making waves on the Web
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and

> want
> > to create the project on another computer,
> >
> > There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
> > project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from

> the
> > memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second computer.
> >
> > But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
> > project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
> > effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
> > message).
> >
> > So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
> > project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dave
> >
> > BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

Dave

This doesn't appear to work in my case.

I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing Project
and point to my project file.

But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

How do I add a web project to an existing solution?

And once I add the project, how do I reference it in a brower? For example,
I created a new project which I can reference as
http://localserver/newproject. To the "newproject solution" I than add my
original project. Is the url for this
http://localserver/newproject/originalproject?.

Is there any way to avoid having the originalproject become a subproject?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's probably because of the VD stuff, etc.
> What I usually do is just put it whereever, then create a new, blank,
> solution. Select Add Project and select the project. It should step you
> through it from there.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and
>>want
>> to create the project on another computer,
>>
>> There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
>> project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from
>> the
>> memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second
>> computer.
>>
>> But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create a
>> project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
>> effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact error
>> message).
>>
>> So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
>> project files, I just need to get them configured on a different server.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave
>>
>> BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

Dave

No. It looks like it costs $99.

"Patrick.O.Ige" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rick is it free?
>

> "Rick Strahl [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I posted a free tool that helps with this process a couple of weeks ago
>> at:
>>
>> http://www.west-wind.com/tools/WebSiteConfiguration.asp
>>
>> Basically when you copy a project you typpically have to do a few things:
>>
>> Copy the files
>> Create a virtual directory
>> Possibly set directory permissions
>> If the virtual name is different fix the VS.NET project
>>
>> This utility performs these tasks from a single location with a few
>> simple
>> clicks and you can store a configuration and fire up the utlity with
>> defaults preconfigured.
>>
>> I use this all the time for configuring apps and whenever I ship a sample
>> projects for publication.
>>
>> REgards,
>>
>> +++ Rick ---
>>
>> --
>>
>> Rick Strahl
>> West Wind Technologies
>> http://www.west-wind.com/
>> http://www.west-wind.com/weblog/
>> http://www.west-wind.com/wwThreads/
>> ----------------------------------
>> Making waves on the Web
>>

>> "Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I copied the project files from an ASP.NET project on one computer and

>> want
>> > to create the project on another computer,
>> >
>> > There is no connection between the two computers so I simply copied the
>> > project files from the first computer onto a memory stick and then from

>> the
>> > memory stick into my Visual Studio Projects folder on the second
>> > computer.
>> >
>> > But when I open Visual Studio on the second computer and try to create
>> > project by pointing to the project files, I get an error message to the
>> > effect that the project cannot be created (I don't recal the exact
>> > error
>> > message).
>> >
>> > So my question is: how should I approach this problem? I have valid
>> > project files, I just need to get them configured on a different
>> > server.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Dave
>> >
>> > BTW Both computers are running XP Pro SP2.

John Saunders

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This doesn't appear to work in my case.
>
> I create a new project and then go to File | Add Project | Existing
> Project and point to my project file.
>
> But then I get the message that it is a web project and I must specify a
> URL. But the project does not yet exist in a virtual directory on a web
> server; it's in a file folder on a memory stick.

You have to create the virtual directory first. Did you do that? Use the Web
Sharing tab of the Properties on the folder.

John Saunders