Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Any thoughts on catalyst?

Any thoughts on catalyst?

walterbyrd

When I google catalyst vs whatever, I keep getting pages of hits about
some benchmark test.

IMO: execution speed is important, but it is not the only thing in the
world. I am also interested in speed of development, ease of learning,
availability of hosting, documentation, community and so on.

I barely use perl, and I have never used catalyst. But one thing that
concerns me is that CPAN seems overwhelming. There are so many modules
that seem to do the same thing, or nearly the same thing, and I
understand it, some modules work much better than others.

Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

brian d foy

In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
walterbyrd <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I google catalyst vs whatever, I keep getting pages of hits about
> some benchmark test.

What are you searching for? When I google "perl catalyst", the top hit
is

http://www.catalystframework.org/

Which I think answers all of your questions.

> IMO: execution speed is important, but it is not the only thing in the
> world. I am also interested in speed of development, ease of learning,
> availability of hosting, documentation, community and so on.

> I barely use perl, and I have never used catalyst.

If you're not up on your Perl skills, you'll need to study up. Catalyst
isn't that hard, but it does assume that you know Perl.

walterbyrd

> What are you searching for? When I google "perl catalyst", the top hit
> is
>
> * *http://www.catalystframework.org/
>
> Which *I think answers all of your questions.

I am interested in a review of catalyst by somebody who has used
catalyst, as well as other frameworks.