Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to get Perlscript in ASP / IIS to execute command line systemcalls

How to get Perlscript in ASP / IIS to execute command line systemcalls

Jack

Hi folks,

These system calls work find in the .pl world, but in IIS when
Perlscript is running inside of an ASP webpage, nothing happens. I
changed the folder properties under IIS to give "script source access"
and added "write" permissions, but still it doesnt seem to work.. any
ideas out there ?

$syscall0 = "move e:\\tmp\\file1.jpg e:\\file1.jpg ";
system("$syscall0");

Thank you,
Jack

Jürgen Exner

Michael Vilain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> These system calls work find in the .pl world, but in IIS when
>> Perlscript is running inside of an ASP webpage, nothing happens. I
>> changed the folder properties under IIS to give "script source access"
>> and added "write" permissions, but still it doesnt seem to work.. any
>> ideas out there ?
>>
>> $syscall0 = "move e:\\tmp\\file1.jpg e:\\file1.jpg ";
>> system("$syscall0");

>Is there a "shell" environment on XP? I don't count the DOS "shell".

That is of course your choice. Perl however doesn't let prejudices get
in the way and works with the DOS command interpreter without problems.

BS. As the OP said himself explicitely:
"These system calls work find in the .pl world"
Obviously there is no problem with perl calling DOS commands via
system().

He should rethink this code because there is no good reason to shell out
an action for which there is a perfectly fine Perl command. Why not use
rename() in the first place?

However I have a hunch that that won't help him either because the
problem seems to be related to IIS/ASP rather then to Perl on XP. As the
mantra says:
<quote from "My CGI script runs from the command line but not the
browser.">
If you can demonstrate that you've read the following FAQs
and
that your problem isn't something simple that can be easily
answered, you'll probably receive a courteous and useful
reply
to your question if you post it on
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi (if it's something to do
with
HTTP, HTML, or the CGI protocols). Questions that appear to
be
Perl questions but are really CGI ones that are posted to
comp.lang.perl.misc may not be so well received.
</quote>

jue