Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Cartesian to lat and lon

Cartesian to lat and lon

Andrew Rich

Hello

I have had success going from lat and lon to bearing and distance from a
known point.

Now I have a need to go the other way.

Given a known point, and given the bearing and distance, calculate the lat
and lon.

Ideas ?

Maybe there is a module that does this ?

Andrew

Mark Clements

Andrew Rich wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have had success going from lat and lon to bearing and distance from a
> known point.
>
> Now I have a need to go the other way.
>
> Given a known point, and given the bearing and distance, calculate the lat
> and lon.
>
> Ideas ?
>
> Maybe there is a module that does this ?

search.cpan.org

Mark

Zed Pobre

Andrew Rich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have had success going from lat and lon to bearing and distance from a
> known point.
>
> Now I have a need to go the other way.
>
> Given a known point, and given the bearing and distance, calculate the lat
> and lon.
>
> Ideas ?
>
> Maybe there is a module that does this ?

I suspect that what you want is Geo:irection:istance.

If it isn't, searching CPAN for "Geo Distance" should bring up quite a
few other tools.

--
Zed Pobre <(E-Mail Removed)> a.k.a. Zed Pobre <(E-Mail Removed)>
PGP key and fingerprint available on finger; encrypted mail welcomed.

Jim Gibson

In article <48c34c6a$(E-Mail Removed)>, Andrew Rich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have had success going from lat and lon to bearing and distance from a
> known point.
>
> Now I have a need to go the other way.
>
> Given a known point, and given the bearing and distance, calculate the lat
> and lon.
>
> Ideas ?
>
> Maybe there is a module that does this ?

There are several. I wrote one called Geo::Ellipsoid and submitted it
to CPAN. I have been using it for several years. I would be glad to
help you with it if you have any problems using it.

Other modules that do the same thing are Geo::Forward and
Geo:irection:istance. They all give comparable results, according
to my admittedly short tests.

--
Jim Gibson