Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > OT news server

OT news server

fidokomik

Please can anybody recommend me some news server? Now I read this
group using news client from news.felk.cvut.cz but is look that my
outgoing messages are lost at Czech Republic border

Sherm Pendley

fidokomik <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
else can one expect for free?

For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com

sln@netherlands.com

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:07:57 -0400, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>fidokomik <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

>Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
>a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
>else can one expect for free?
>
>For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.
I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.
Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
cents per month service and 5 day retention?

sln

>sherm--

Sherm Pendley

> On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 20:07:57 -0400, Sherm Pendley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>fidokomik <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> Please can anybody recommend me some news server?

>>Free or paid? For free, I've had good results from aioe.org. They have
>>a fairly short retention period and don't carry binaries, but what
>>else can one expect for free?
>>
>>For money, I've yet to see a service that beats giganews.

> Hey, I just got a $10 service @ 20 gigs and 160 days.

Giganews has a plan that costs a bit more, but includes a few more
bytes - it's $12.99 for 25GB. But they have a 200 day retention in the
*binary* groups, which they've announced will be upgraded to 240 days
in September. Their non-binary retention approaches the absurd - it's
measured in years intead of days.

I'm no longer a subscriber, but that has more to do with my own waning
interest in usenet than anything else. If I were still using a paid
service at all, it would be giganews.

> I used to have 5 gigs for and a year for free with adelphia.

Adelphia (now Comcast) in my area doesn't provide their own usenet
service - they simply resell GigaNews. That's how I first heard of
them.

> Now, I don't dnload binaries at the traditional sites, no need.
> Since I use Agent, which is a deep recoreder, should I go for the ten
> cents per month service and 5 day retention?

Honestly, if you don't care about long retention or binaries, a free
service like aioe.net's should be perfectly fine.

sherm--

--
My blog: http://shermspace.blogspot.com