Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3

How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3

V S Rawat

How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?

I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
--

--

What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged

thanks.

Ben Morrow

Quoth V S Rawat <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?
>
> I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
> --
> > Perl is not natively supported. You will need a Perl interpreter as an
> > external processor.
> >
> > You need to identify and use an external protocol handler and identify
> > what interfaces have to be used.

> --
>
> What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
> browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged
> perl installation, like javascript doesn't need java. Isn't it so?

JavaScript is completely unrelated to Java. The similar names are very
unfortunate (blame Netscape's marketing department: the language was
originally called LiveScript). PerlScript, OTOH, is just perl installed
as a Windows ActiveX scripting language, so you *do* absolutely need a
full (ActiveState) perl install.

I have no idea if it's possible to use PerlScript from within Firefox. I
strongly suspect it's not: AFAIK, FF doesn't support ActiveX scripting
at all, so it won't support PerlScript either. If you can find anything
that tells you how to use VBScript (or any other ActiveX language: are
there others?) from within FF, the answer will apply to PerlScript.

The answer you were given refers to using Perl as a URL protocol
handler, without bothering with PerlScript. FF allows you to create your
own URL schemes, so you could define perl:// URLs which you could
(somehow) associate with an appropriate interpreter. I don't think you
could (easily) get at the DOM, though, as you can with JavaScript.

Basically: I think what you're trying to do can't be done, and any
further questions about it belong in a Firefox group, not here.

Ben

--
You poor take courage, you rich take care:
The Earth was made a common treasury for everyone to share

V S Rawat

On 8/16/2008 2:22 PM India Time, _Ben Morrow_ wrote:

> Quoth V S Rawat <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>> How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?
>>
>> I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
>> --
>> > Perl is not natively supported. You will need a Perl interpreter as an
>> > external processor.
>> >
>> > You need to identify and use an external protocol handler and identify
>> > what interfaces have to be used.

>> --
>>
>> What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
>> browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged
>> perl installation, like javascript doesn't need java. Isn't it so?

> JavaScript is completely unrelated to Java. The similar names are very
> unfortunate (blame Netscape's marketing department: the language was
> originally called LiveScript). PerlScript, OTOH, is just perl installed
> as a Windows ActiveX scripting language, so you *do* absolutely need a
> full (ActiveState) perl install.
>
> I have no idea if it's possible to use PerlScript from within Firefox. I
> strongly suspect it's not: AFAIK, FF doesn't support ActiveX scripting
> at all, so it won't support PerlScript either. If you can find anything
> that tells you how to use VBScript (or any other ActiveX language: are
> there others?) from within FF, the answer will apply to PerlScript.
>
> The answer you were given refers to using Perl as a URL protocol
> handler, without bothering with PerlScript. FF allows you to create your
> own URL schemes, so you could define perl:// URLs which you could
> (somehow) associate with an appropriate interpreter. I don't think you
> could (easily) get at the DOM, though, as you can with JavaScript.
>
> Basically: I think what you're trying to do can't be done, and any
> further questions about it belong in a Firefox group, not here.
>
> Ben

Thanks, Ben. A disappointing answer, but the bitter truth is truth.

Google threw the following page adding the same:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=664307
--
Re: Firefox Script
by wfsp (Monsignor) on Jan 25, 2008 at 16:58 UTC

The Active Perl
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/doc...erlScript.html
docs say:

PerlScript is an ActiveX scripting engine that allows you to
use Perl with any ActiveX scripting host. At this time, ActiveX
scripting hosts include:

Internet Information Server 3.0/4.0/5.0
Peer Web Services 3.0/4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0x
Windows Scripting Host
--

No FF.

k. would try it on ie6.

Sherm Pendley

V S Rawat <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?

Make FireFox support Active Scripting.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Scripting>

sherm--

--