Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Proper way to install module that uses shared libs

Proper way to install module that uses shared libs

Hi All,

Does anyone know the proper way to install a Perl module on Linux that
loads several shared libraries? For standard libs that comes with
Perl, the .so files are in the ${PERL_HOME}/i386-linux-thread-multi/
auto directory. Is this where my libs should go also? I do not want to
depend on LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible. Also, what about
managing versions? Is there a document that describes best practices
for handling this scenario?

many thanks,

Leon Timmermans

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:53:30 -0700, B wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Does anyone know the proper way to install a Perl module on Linux that
> loads several shared libraries? For standard libs that comes with Perl,
> the .so files are in the ${PERL_HOME}/i386-linux-thread-multi/ auto
> directory. Is this where my libs should go also? I do not want to depend
> on LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible. Also, what about managing
> versions? Is there a document that describes best practices for handling
> this scenario?
>
> many thanks,

Module::Build or ExtUtils::MakeMaker can take care of all of that,
there's no need to deal with that yourself.

Regards,

Leon

Ben Bullock

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:53:30 -0700, B wrote:

> Does anyone know the proper way to install a Perl module on Linux that
> loads several shared libraries? For standard libs that comes with
> Perl, the .so files are in the ${PERL_HOME}/i386-linux-thread-multi/
> auto directory. Is this where my libs should go also? I do not want to
> depend on LD_LIBRARY_PATH if at all possible. Also, what about
> managing versions? Is there a document that describes best practices
> for handling this scenario?

There are a lot of documents describing best practices in Perl, and
usually they disagree with each other. I'm not clear if you're a module
author or someone trying to install modules. If you're a module author,
then I recommend trying "Module::Starter" and "Module::Install" and
rooting around CPAN's documentation. If you're someone trying to install
modules, the best advice is to use cpan (a command line program which
comes with Perl) or ppm (comes with ActiveState Perl) if you are on
Windows.