Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Discussion forum sofware in perl

Discussion forum sofware in perl

John

What is your perl generated discussion forum software? Preferable free/gnu.

What I need in addition to features that most forum software has:

- when someone posts something administrator gets a copy via email

- administrator can upload messages as if someone had posted them.

The latter is especially important. I maintain a ask-a-question-and-we-reply
forum. Often members skip the baord ask directly via email. I reply them via
email but I would like to upload the question and my answer to the board so
others can see the question and my answer in hopes someone would benefit from the
answer as well.

I can do perl code myself but my current perl board I have sofware has a message
proprietary system where I've not been able to decipher the message structure.

Randal L. Schwartz

John> What is your perl generated discussion forum software? Preferable
John> free/gnu.

What the world doesn't need is one more web-based discussion forum.

Since your questions are coming in via mail anyway, set up a (possibly
moderated) submission address with a web searchable archive, or just
adding a GMANE subscription, which will give you web-submissions and
NNTP access. By keeping it as ordinary mail and NNTP, those of us
who subscribe to more than one mailing list can use a common facility,
rather than going to *this* funky web site for *this* list, and *that*
completely different funky web site for *that* list.

People who keep creating different web forum setups drive me crazy.
They're doing the net more harm than good.

John Bokma

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is your perl generated discussion forum software? Preferable
> free/gnu.
>
> What I need in addition to features that most forum software has:
>
> - when someone posts something administrator gets a copy via email
>
> - administrator can upload messages as if someone had posted them.
>
> The latter is especially important.

You probably can do that using web automation. I have done something
similar in the past for a PHPbb forum.

> I maintain a
> ask-a-question-and-we-reply forum. Often members skip the baord ask
> directly via email. I reply them via email but I would like to upload
> the question and my answer to the board so others can see the question
> and my answer in hopes someone would benefit from the answer as well.
>
> I can do perl code myself but my current perl board I have sofware has
> a message proprietary system where I've not been able to decipher the
> message structure.

If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to add
the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned PHPbb forum
that way).

--
John

http://johnbokma.com/perl/

John

John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to add
>the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned PHPbb forum
>that way).

The problem is that the database format is proprietary and not documented. To
make thing more complicated the data is spread between a number of files.

John Bokma

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> John Bokma <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>If the messages are stored in a database, it's not that difficult to
>>add the former (I've added a simple RSS feed to the aforementioned
>>PHPbb forum that way).

> The problem is that the database format is proprietary and not
> documented. To make thing more complicated the data is spread between
> a number of files.

You mean that instead of a database files are used (or a mix even)?

Anyway, if you can post via a browser, you can post via Perl. If you need
help on this, see sig .

If the board has a way to see "n recent posts" or "all new posts since
last login" it can be done with web automation as well.

--
John

http://johnbokma.com/perl/help-in-ex...or-a-gift.html

Sofware vhdl Jean-NoŽl ROBIN VHDL 5 06-23-2006 01:11 PM
Sofware selling - need help! Bruce Lee Java 3 06-17-2006 12:11 AM
dvd data burnining sofware || Computer Information 0 03-21-2005 01:39 AM
Print Master Gold Sofware - how to find data? Dave Stockdale Computer Support 2 08-21-2004 04:57 PM
Picture organizing sofware batman1990 Digital Photography 4 10-17-2003 09:13 AM

Advertisments