Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > newbie: preparing ASP.NET application for release

newbie: preparing ASP.NET application for release

Stimp

I have an ASP.NET application that I'm ready to upload onto a webserver
in a release format.

I just want to be sure of a few things first:

- I take it that I only need to upload the aspx files, the bin directory
files, stylesheets, global.asax and web.config onto the server?

(i.e. I don't need to upload the .vb source files and assemblynfo.vb,
etc?)

- Also, to prepare the application for release mode, do I just need to
set the <compilation> tag to debug="false" ?

Anything else I should know about?

Thanks,
Peter
--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"

Karl Seguin

debug="false" compile the code i release mode (assuming you are using
VS.Net, that's just a dropdown that says DEBUG and RELEASE). you also need
ascx (user controls), asmx (web services), asax (global)

you can remove the vbproj and sln/suo files.

karl
--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Stimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an ASP.NET application that I'm ready to upload onto a webserver
> in a release format.
>
> I just want to be sure of a few things first:
>
> - I take it that I only need to upload the aspx files, the bin directory
> files, stylesheets, global.asax and web.config onto the server?
>
> (i.e. I don't need to upload the .vb source files and assemblynfo.vb,
> etc?)
>
> - Also, to prepare the application for release mode, do I just need to
> set the <compilation> tag to debug="false" ?
>
> Anything else I should know about?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
> --
>
> "I hear ma train a comin'
> ... hear freedom comin"

Henke

To depoly the project to the server you can use the copy project function in
the project menu (if you are using Visual Studio). Just check, copy "Only
files needed to run this application". You must have your ASP.NET project
selected in the solution explorer.

/Henke

"Stimp" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an ASP.NET application that I'm ready to upload onto a webserver
> in a release format.
>
> I just want to be sure of a few things first:
>
> - I take it that I only need to upload the aspx files, the bin directory
> files, stylesheets, global.asax and web.config onto the server?
>
> (i.e. I don't need to upload the .vb source files and assemblynfo.vb,
> etc?)
>
> - Also, to prepare the application for release mode, do I just need to
> set the <compilation> tag to debug="false" ?
>
> Anything else I should know about?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
> --
>
> "I hear ma train a comin'
> ... hear freedom comin"

Kikoz

.... in addition to what guys suggested check out this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...CL_SecuAsp.asp
Pay attention to web.config settings, especially if your app is hosted on
shared server (hosting company or several apps on one server)