Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Editing HTML Page

Editing HTML Page

invincible

All,

I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
get your views on the solution.

In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
file on the unix directory.

There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
location etc.

Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
As told before the details are stored in
customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .

Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
creating a new link in index.cgi.

Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ciao.

J. Gleixner

invincible wrote:
[...]
> Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
> As told before the details are stored in

Many people don't know or remember the details you may have posted.

> customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
> index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .
>
> Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
> creating a new link in index.cgi.

[...]
Parse the file. in your CGI.
Display the data in an HTML form.
When it's submitted, the CGI will parse the input and rewrite the file.
( Note the permissions on the file need to be writable by the owner
of the process running the Web server. )

Start by learning about CGI and the different elements HTML provides
in a form. When you're ready to program it, there are many
options that will help, usually CGI can tackle it:

perldoc CGI

Bill H

On Jul 18, 2:20*pm, invincible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> All,
>
> I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
> get your views on the solution.
>
> In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
> This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
> file on the unix directory.
>
> There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
> to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
> location etc.
>
> Now the PROBLEM: *We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
> As told before the details are stored in
> customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
> index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .
>
> Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
> creating a new link in index.cgi.
>
> Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ciao.

Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>****
Bing</td>"?

Bill H

Tad J McClellan

Bill H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2:20*pm, invincible <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>****
> Bing</td>"?

If it was for testing, then everybody knows you should use:

--
Tad McClellan

invincible

On Jul 18, 11:55 pm, Bill H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jul 18, 2:20 pm,invincible<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > All,

> > I have a problem which I thought of discussing with you lot so as to
> > get your views on the solution.

> > In my intranet there is an section where we have our customer details.
> > This is fairly straight as all the details are saved in customer.log
> > file on the unix directory.

> > There is one index.cgi file which has certain columns which allow us
> > to add customer and search by several fields including customer name,
> > location etc.

> > Now the PROBLEM: We do not have any cgi script to edit these details.
> > As told before the details are stored in
> > customer.log file and I suppose I would have to create a link in
> > index.cgi to edit all the details displayed .

> > Would somebody be able to let me know how to change these details ,
> > creating a new link in index.cgi.

> > Sample fields in the index.cgi is as below.

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Ciao.

> Did you type this in or do you really have a field called "<td>****
> Bing</td>"?