Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to get Perl CGI working on Mac OS 10.5?

How to get Perl CGI working on Mac OS 10.5?

vol30w60

I've tried searching this topic and only found a few tutorials on this,
but I still cannot get CGI working.

The machine is Mac OS 10.5.3

I do have Perl installed by default:
perl -v
This is perl, v5.8.8 built for darwin-2level

I've set-up my Apache config files with the following options:

<Directory "/Users/mike/Sites/">
Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch Includes ExecCGI
DirectoryIndex index.html index.shtml index.php
AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
<Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Limit>
<LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
</LimitExcept>
</Directory>

When I try to access a cgi script, it outputs the code (does not process
the script):

http://127.0.0.1/~mike/cgi-bin/test.cgi

Output:
#!/usr/bin/perl -wT
print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";
print "<h2>Hello, World!</h2>\n";

file is set to:
-rwxr-xr-x

What am I missing?

vol30w60

vol30w60 wrote:
> I've tried searching this topic and only found a few tutorials on this,
> but I still cannot get CGI working.
>
> The machine is Mac OS 10.5.3

This problem has been solved.

FYI, there are two configuration directories:
/etc/httpd
/etc/apache2

Changes need to be made in /etc/apache2
The files in /etc/httpd are ignored (and probably should just be deleted)

szr

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2008-07-10, vol30w60 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I've tried searching this topic and only found a few tutorials on
>> this, but I still cannot get CGI working.

> Then you probably have an Apache problem, not a Perl problem.
>
>> When I try to access a cgi script, it outputs the code (does not
>> process the script):

> Then you definitely have an Apache problem, not a Perl problem.
>
> Since you have an Apache problem, I suggest you try asking your
> question in an Apache newsgroup. (I believe alt.apache.configuration
> might be a good bet.)

<side question>
I never understood why that news group wasn't created up the 'comp.*'
hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there any particular
reason for this?
</side question>

--
szr

Charlton Wilbur

szr> <side question> I never understood why that news group
szr> [alt.apache.configuration] wasn't created up the 'comp.*'
szr> hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there any
szr> particular reason for this? </side question>

Most likely, because there's a lengthy and involved process for creating
groups under comp.*, but creating an alt.* group only requires a single
sysadmin issuing a command.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur

szr

Sherman Pendley wrote:
> "szr" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I never understood why that news group wasn't created up the 'comp.*'
>> hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there any particular
>> reason for this?

> Huh? You posted this to comp.lang.perl.misc. There *is* an alt.perl
> group, but this ain't it.

I wasn't directing this at the 'alt.*' hierarchy, but rather the
'comp.*' hierarchy. I am just curious of why it was created in 'alt.*'
and not 'comp.*' like many other major languages, db, protocol and such,
are. I would of thought a dedicated apache news group would have been a
ripe candidate for the 'comp.*' hierarchy.

(And I don't think I've ever used or seen the word "hierarchy" so much
in a single short paragraph before. )

--
szr

szr

Charlton Wilbur wrote:

> szr> <side question> I never understood why that news group
> szr> [alt.apache.configuration] wasn't created up the 'comp.*'
> szr> hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there any
> szr> particular reason for this? </side question>
>
> Most likely, because there's a lengthy and involved process for
> creating groups under comp.*, but creating an alt.* group only
> requires a single sysadmin issuing a command.

I am aware of that, but it didn't seem to be much of a problem for the
hundreds of programming, database, web, and other such groups that are
well established. It just always felt odd that a group for a major open
source software like Apache ended up in the 'alt' realm. Oh well.

--
szr

Randal L. Schwartz

szr> <side question>
szr> I never understood why that news group wasn't created up the 'comp.*'
szr> hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there any particular
szr> reason for this?
szr> </side question>

Not sure what that alt. group is doing there, but
comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix has always been the apache group to me.

szr

Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> szr> <side question>
> szr> I never understood why that news group wasn't created up the
> szr> 'comp.*' hierarchy and why it was made under 'alt.*', was there
> szr> any particular reason for this?
> szr> </side question>
>
> Not sure what that alt. group is doing there, but
> comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix has always been the apache group to
> me.

Ah I completely forgot about that group, although it's not precisely a
dedicated apache group, believe it's close enough

--
szr