Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perl GD Image resolution problem

perl GD Image resolution problem

Zhiliang Hu

I use GD::Image to create figures. Here is an example:
http://sphinx.vet.unimelb.edu.au/QTL...p490151833.png

For publication purposes we need high resolution pictures. I am
seeking expert advice as how can I improve the resolution?

Thanks in advance!

Zhiliang

xhoster@gmail.com

Zhiliang Hu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use GD::Image to create figures. Here is an example:
> http://sphinx.vet.unimelb.edu.au/QTL...p490151833.png
>
> For publication purposes we need high resolution pictures. I am
> seeking expert advice as how can I improve the resolution?

Hi Zhiliang,

The resolution of a png is one pixel per pixel. You can't get any higher
than that! You should be able to make the entire image larger, for example
by specifying a larger array when you call new on your GD object.
Currently it is 360x402, you could try doubling each.

Or you may need to switch to something other than png, like svg using
GD::SVG.

Xho

this fact.

zentara

On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:28:15 -0700 (PDT), Zhiliang Hu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I use GD::Image to create figures. Here is an example:
>http://sphinx.vet.unimelb.edu.au/QTL...p490151833.png
>
>For publication purposes we need high resolution pictures. I am
>seeking expert advice as how can I improve the resolution?
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Zhiliang

Use a camera with more mega-pixels, and set it to the highest
resolution. ( Usually the largest picture, allowing fewest pictures
in storage).

If you take a low resolution photo, and use a program to make it larger,
each pixel will be duplicated with the same color, to accomodate the
larger size. So the picture will be larger, but the resolution will not
improve.

Resolution comes from the camera's megapixel count and settings.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html

Zhiliang Hu

Many thanks for all your hints. That'll be useful.

--
Zhiliang

zentara

On Tue, 6 May 2008 08:29:09 -0700 (PDT), Zhiliang Hu
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Many thanks for all your hints. That'll be useful.

I just looked at your sample output, and since it's lines and
text, you could use the Scalable Vector Graphics format, or
..svg

GD has svg output with the module
http://search.cpan.org/~twh/GD-SVG-0.28/SVG.pm

SVG files look like xml, and will change resolution
automatically to adjust to window size.

Google for svg for more info.

zentara

http://zentara.net/japh.html

Ben Bullock

On May 7, 10:22 pm, zentara <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> SVG files look like xml

That's because they are XML.

Zhiliang Hu

Yes, I do find SVG an interesting tool. I spent some time on it...
ang wonder is there a good tutorial on how to use it? (for example I
made it produce xml like files but not yet viewable on web; Yet to get
fonts to work, etc.)

Many thanks for all who replied with suggestions. These did give me
some insights. Appreciate it.

Zhiliang