Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > can you write to a dos format while in unix

can you write to a dos format while in unix

mmccaws2

My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
it with

"perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
transfer?

Mike

Joost Diepenmaat

mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
> it with
>
> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
>
> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
> transfer?

No, you're doing it wrong.

*ON UNIX*, you can do:

perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

Colin B.

mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
> it with
>
> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
>
> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
> transfer?

Unless I'm missing something, you should just be able to do:
$unix2dos $infile > $outfile

Colin

Rich Grise

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:

> mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
>> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
>> it with
>>
>> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"
>>
>> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
>> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
>> transfer?

> No, you're doing it wrong.
>
> *ON UNIX*, you can do:
>
> perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile
>
> Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
> transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

What's wrong with
$ todos < $infile > $dosfile
?

Thanks,
Rich

mmccaws2

On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:
> > mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
> >> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
> >> it with

> >> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

> >> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
> >> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
> >> transfer?

> > No, you're doing it wrong.

> > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

> > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

> > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
> > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

> What's wrong with
> $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
> ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

we're using scp that comes on HPUX. The results did seem to change.

Mike

mmccaws2

On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 22:12:18 +0200, Joost Diepenmaat wrote:
> > mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> >> My users are will be uploading a file from unix. I'm trying to save a
> >> step by formatting the file while in unix so they don't have to format
> >> it with

> >> "perl -p -e 's/\r/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile"

> >> The resulting file after copied to windows did not have a readable
> >> format. Is this a process that can only be done after the file
> >> transfer?

> > No, you're doing it wrong.

> > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

> > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

> > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
> > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

> What's wrong with
> $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
> ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

Mike

mmccaws2

On Apr 8, 2:19 pm, mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 1:54 pm, Rich Grise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > No, you're doing it wrong.

> > > *ON UNIX*, you can do:

> > > perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/' < $infile > $dosfile

> > > Final results are dependent on the transfer protocol (i.e. do NOT
> > > transfer those files with FTP in ASCII mode).

> > What's wrong with
> > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
> > ?

> > Thanks,
> > Rich

> Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
> on XP which is a product of Attachmate.
>
> Mike

How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

Mike

mmccaws2

On Apr 8, 2:29 pm, mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:19 pm, mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > What's wrong with
> > > $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
> > > ?

> > > Thanks,
> > > Rich

> > Sorry that wasn't quite right. I made the change and then scp'd. scp
> > on XP which is a product of Attachmate.

> > Mike

> How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?
>
> Mike

Also, I've never used unix2dos, is this a module or program?

Mike

mmccaws2

On Apr 8, 4:22 pm, Jim Gibson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>
> mmccaws2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > How does one print hidden characters like '\n' in perl or cl?

> You change them to something printable:
>
> $line = "123\n";
> $line =~ s{\n}{\\n\n}g; # '123\n'
>
> or maybe
>
> $line =~ s{([[:cntrl:]]}{sprintf"\\%x\n",ord($1)}eg; # '123\a'
> print $line;
>
> --
> Jim Gibson

> http://www.usenet.com

Thanks I should've, could've thought of that, but I hadn't

Mike

Joost Diepenmaat

Rich Grise <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> What's wrong with
> $ todos < $infile > $dosfile
> ?

Nothing if you have it. Same for unix2dos etc. FTR: I seem to have
neither on my debian box which has been in use for years.