Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > perl should be improved and perl6

perl should be improved and perl6

Dr.Ruud

Keith Keller schreef:

> "should of" is wrong. It's at least as wrong than PERL.

Aaargh, "as wrong than", I hate that one too much.

BTW, "wronger as" actually has a historical justification, but "as wrong
than" is its evil twin.

--
Affijn, Ruud

"Gewoon is een tijger."

Jim Cochrane

On 2008-04-14, Chris Mattern <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 2008-04-14, Jim Cochrane <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> Actually, "I should of course said" is still wrong - missing a verb
>> component - should be: "I should of course have said".
>>

> I think that sentence is also better for a little appropriate punctuation:
> "I should, of course, have said". The commas also help guide you to the
> correct verb choice, instead of getting confused as to whether "of" is your
> verb.

Yes, I thought of that after posting; thanks for the correction.

(I better stop replying now before we get too far sidetracked from perl
vs. Perl vs. PERL vs. pERL .......)

Tad J McClellan

Keith Keller <(E-Mail Removed)-francisco.ca.us> wrote:
> On 2008-04-14, Dr.Ruud <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Keith Keller schreef:
>>
>>> "should of" is wrong. It's at least as wrong than PERL.

>> Aaargh, "as wrong than", I hate that one too much.

> Ugh--when I correct grammar, next time I won't make a grammar mistake.
> I had written "It's even more wrong than PERL" and did
> s/even more/at least as/ but forgot to do s/than/as/.
>
> But, really, perl should be improved to do this for me automagically!

The "WWIM" capability will be added in perl8.

--
Tad McClellan

Martijn Lievaart

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:02:59 -0700, Gordon Etly wrote:

> RedGrittyBrick wrote:
>> Gordon Etly wrote:

>>> I'm not ignoring it at all. Whether or not "PERL" is used throughout
>>> the documentation isn't the issue here.

>> I believe it is germane to the issue.

> Sorry, but no, that was never the issuer at hand, but rather a tangent
> off the issue.
>
>>> What is the issue is the fact that
>>> since the main document defines "Practical Extraction and Report
>>> Language", it should //not// be //wrong// to use "PERL".

>> I think it is your opinion, not a "fact", that your conclusion flows
>> from your premise.

> 'perldoc perl' is not my opinion.
>
> It states "Practical Extraction and Report Language" and therefore I
> don't know why it should be considered wrong to use "PERL" as a short
> for that, which it very well is.
>
> [...]

Well if you just snip the arguments without addressing them, I guess
there is no arguing possible.

M4

Andrew DeFaria

Jürgen Exner wrote:
> Also, his appearance in this NG at the same time as this stupid
> argument is a really amazing coincidence.

This is the justification for 99.999% of all conspiracy theories. Oh,
and I don't believe them either.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If I melted dry ice, could I swim in it and not get wet?