Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > 5.10.

5.10.

greymaus

I have downloaded, compiled, and `make install' perl5.10.0, ok
3 Questions,`
1) even if I `./configure --prefix=/usr', it still installs
to `/usr/local'. How do I get it to instal to /usr/? (Just 'mv
/usr/local/bin/perl5.10 /usr/bin'?

2) Do I just relink /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 to have it
run from the command line ('perl -e (whatever')

3) Is there any way of reloading the modules i have under perl5.8.8
quickly ?

--
Greymaus

Anything that can not kill you is a boring experience.

Ben Bullock

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:36:36 +0000, greymaus wrote:

> I have downloaded, compiled, and `make install' perl5.10.0, ok 3
> Questions,`
> 1) even if I `./configure --prefix=/usr', it still installs to
> `/usr/local'. How do I get it to instal to /usr/? (Just 'mv
> /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 /usr/bin'?

ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 502 $ ls configure
ls: configure: No such file or directory

ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 503 $ ./Configure
/usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0/UU

Beginning of configuration questions for perl5.
By default, perl5 will be installed in /usr/local/bin, manual pages
under /usr/local/man, etc..., i.e. with /usr/local as prefix for all
installation directories. Typically this is something like /usr/local.
If you wish to have binaries under /usr/bin but other parts of the
installation under /usr/local, that's ok: you will be prompted
separately for each of the installation directories, the prefix being
only used to set the defaults.

Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/usr/local]

> 2) Do I just relink /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 to have it run
> from the command line ('perl -e (whatever')

Pathname where the public executables will reside? (~name ok)
[/usr/local/bin]

> 3) Is there any way of reloading the modules i have under perl5.8.8
> quickly ?

In order to ease the process of upgrading, this version of perl
can be configured to use modules built and installed with earlier
versions of perl that were installed under /usr/local. Specify here
the list of earlier versions that this version of perl should check.
If Configure detected no earlier versions of perl installed under
/usr/local, then the list will be empty. Answer 'none' to tell perl
to not search earlier versions.

The default should almost always be sensible, so if you're not sure,
just accept the default.
List of earlier versions to include in @INC? [none]

greymaus

On 2008-03-28, Ben Bullock <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:36:36 +0000, greymaus wrote:
>
>> I have downloaded, compiled, and `make install' perl5.10.0, ok 3
>> Questions,`
>> 1) even if I `./configure --prefix=/usr', it still installs to
>> `/usr/local'. How do I get it to instal to /usr/? (Just 'mv
>> /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 /usr/bin'?

> ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 502 $ ls configure
> ls: configure: No such file or directory
>
> ben /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0 503 $ ./Configure
> /usr/local/src/perl-5.10.0/UU
>
> Beginning of configuration questions for perl5.
> By default, perl5 will be installed in /usr/local/bin, manual pages
> under /usr/local/man, etc..., i.e. with /usr/local as prefix for all
> installation directories. Typically this is something like /usr/local.
> If you wish to have binaries under /usr/bin but other parts of the
> installation under /usr/local, that's ok: you will be prompted
> separately for each of the installation directories, the prefix being
> only used to set the defaults.
>
> Installation prefix to use? (~name ok) [/usr/local]
>
>> 2) Do I just relink /usr/bin/perl /usr/local/bin/perl5.10 to have it run
>> from the command line ('perl -e (whatever')

> Pathname where the public executables will reside? (~name ok)
> [/usr/local/bin]
>
>> 3) Is there any way of reloading the modules i have under perl5.8.8
>> quickly ?

> In order to ease the process of upgrading, this version of perl
> can be configured to use modules built and installed with earlier
> versions of perl that were installed under /usr/local. Specify here
> the list of earlier versions that this version of perl should check.
> If Configure detected no earlier versions of perl installed under
> /usr/local, then the list will be empty. Answer 'none' to tell perl
> to not search earlier versions.
>
> The default should almost always be sensible, so if you're not sure,
> just accept the default.
> List of earlier versions to include in @INC? [none]

Thanks