Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Putting ASPX functionality into a component

Putting ASPX functionality into a component

GaryB

I have an ASPX page and a vb codebehind file that takes as input a passed
web datagrid as input. My page has a CrystalReportsViewer on it. My page
produces a PDF report of the DataGrid that was passed.

I want to package this functionality into a component so that a programmer
can simply drop my control onto an aspx page, enter the name of a datagrid
on that page to enable print functionality for that grid.

Going through some books on creating components and controls I haven't seen
an example of components that produce web pages as does my program.

What is the best component template to use for this kind of thing?
Thanks,
Gary

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Gary,

You'll want to use the Web Control Library component. The Render() event of
your control dishes out the HTML. A great book on it is:

Developing ASP.Net Server Controls And Components by Kothari Datye /
Microsoft Press.

Good luck! Ken.

--
Ken Dopierala Jr.
For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

"GaryB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an ASPX page and a vb codebehind file that takes as input a passed
> web datagrid as input. My page has a CrystalReportsViewer on it. My page
> produces a PDF report of the DataGrid that was passed.
>
> I want to package this functionality into a component so that a programmer
> can simply drop my control onto an aspx page, enter the name of a datagrid
> on that page to enable print functionality for that grid.
>
> Going through some books on creating components and controls I haven't

seen
> an example of components that produce web pages as does my program.
>
> What is the best component template to use for this kind of thing?
> Thanks,
> Gary

GaryB

That looks to use only C# examples and I am VB based but I'll look into your
advice.
Thanks,
Gary

"Ken Dopierala Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Ogl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gary,
>
> You'll want to use the Web Control Library component. The Render() event
> of
> your control dishes out the HTML. A great book on it is:
>
> Developing ASP.Net Server Controls And Components by Kothari Datye /
> Microsoft Press.
>
> Good luck! Ken.
>
> --
> Ken Dopierala Jr.
> For great ASP.Net web hosting try:
> http://www.webhost4life.com/default.asp?refid=Spinlight
> If you sign up under me and need help, email me.
>
> "GaryB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have an ASPX page and a vb codebehind file that takes as input a passed
>> web datagrid as input. My page has a CrystalReportsViewer on it. My
>> page
>> produces a PDF report of the DataGrid that was passed.
>>
>> I want to package this functionality into a component so that a
>> programmer
>> can simply drop my control onto an aspx page, enter the name of a
>> datagrid
>> on that page to enable print functionality for that grid.
>>
>> Going through some books on creating components and controls I haven't

> seen
>> an example of components that produce web pages as does my program.
>>
>> What is the best component template to use for this kind of thing?
>> Thanks,
>> Gary

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Gary,

I'm strictly VB too. I just took what I needed and converted it to VB.
Good luck! Ken.

--
Ken Dopierala Jr.
For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

"GaryB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> That looks to use only C# examples and I am VB based but I'll look into

your
> advice.
> Thanks,
> Gary
>
> "Ken Dopierala Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Ogl%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Gary,
> >
> > You'll want to use the Web Control Library component. The Render()

event
> > of
> > your control dishes out the HTML. A great book on it is:
> >
> > Developing ASP.Net Server Controls And Components by Kothari Datye /
> > Microsoft Press.
> >
> > Good luck! Ken.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Dopierala Jr.
> > For great ASP.Net web hosting try:
> > http://www.webhost4life.com/default.asp?refid=Spinlight
> > If you sign up under me and need help, email me.
> >
> > "GaryB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I have an ASPX page and a vb codebehind file that takes as input a

passed
> >> web datagrid as input. My page has a CrystalReportsViewer on it. My
> >> page
> >> produces a PDF report of the DataGrid that was passed.
> >>
> >> I want to package this functionality into a component so that a
> >> programmer
> >> can simply drop my control onto an aspx page, enter the name of a
> >> datagrid
> >> on that page to enable print functionality for that grid.
> >>
> >> Going through some books on creating components and controls I haven't

> > seen
> >> an example of components that produce web pages as does my program.
> >>
> >> What is the best component template to use for this kind of thing?
> >> Thanks,
> >> Gary

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

I've also found another thread on the same problem in the
dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrol newsgroup
titled "Subject: Re: What Component model to use??"

Some other communitry member and I have posted our reply there. I'd
appreciate if you also have a look there. And if there're any other
questions, please feel free to post here or in that thread. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Ken Dopierala Jr.

Hi Steven,

Has Microsoft published a book on creating custom controls in VB? I'd
really like to add that to my library! Heck, I'll even write it because it
isn't easy to figure out. The toughest part is implementing the designers
and I've hardly seen a thing about making them in VB.Net. Pass this on to
the VB.Net Team...let's have some fun! Ken.

--
Ken Dopierala Jr.
For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

news:$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Gary,
>
> I've also found another thread on the same problem in the
> dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingcontrol newsgroup
> titled "Subject: Re: What Component model to use??"
>
> Some other communitry member and I have posted our reply there. I'd
> appreciate if you also have a look there. And if there're any other
> questions, please feel free to post here or in that thread. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your advice,I 'll pass it to the ASP.NET guys. Also, since the
language used in the book always depend on the author, not sure whether any
VBNET guys would consider writing one. Fortunately, we can use the
Reflector tool to dig into some asp.net webcontrols to get some ideas and
some availabe opensource 3rd party web controls may also help.