Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Help: undefined symbol: strlcpy

Help: undefined symbol: strlcpy

Amy Lee

I am running into the error "undefined symbol: strlcpy" when trying to
install several Perl modules (YAML, XMLarser, XML::Simple, etc.) on a RHEL 3.

From what I have read, it seems that strlcpy is a function that is included with BSD, Solaris, and OSX, but is not in the GNU C Library.

However, I was able to compile these applications on my old Red Hat Linux 8.0 system without any problems, so the strlcpy function must be available in some library. I just can figure out what it is or how to make it available on my new Fedora system. Any ideas?

[edit: Actually, it appears that the modules that I compiled successfully on my old system were older versions that used strcpy instead of strlcpy. Apparently the newer versions use strlcpy instead, so they might not compile on my old system. Also I wanted to add that at least in a couple of places, the file that refers to strlcpy is /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so]

Amy Lee

Amy Lee

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 22:28:27 +0800, Amy Lee wrote:

> I am running into the error "undefined symbol: strlcpy" when trying to
> install several Perl modules (YAML, XMLarser, XML::Simple, etc.) on a RHEL 3.
>
> From what I have read, it seems that strlcpy is a function that is included with BSD, Solaris, and OSX, but is not in the GNU C Library.
>
> However, I was able to compile these applications on my old Red Hat Linux 8.0 system without any problems, so the strlcpy function must be available in some library. I just can figure out what it is or how to make it available on my new Fedora system. Any ideas?
>
> [edit: Actually, it appears that the modules that I compiled successfully on my old system were older versions that used strcpy instead of strlcpy. Apparently the newer versions use strlcpy instead, so they might not compile on my old system. Also I wanted to add that at least in a couple of places, the file that refers to strlcpy is /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so]
>

> Amy Lee

I've solved this problem. Someone who have the same problem please do
follows:

Go to http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/PathTools-3.27/, download the
PathTools and make && make install.

Regards,

Amy Lee

Ben Morrow

Quoth Amy Lee <(E-Mail Removed)>:
> I am running into the error "undefined symbol: strlcpy" when trying to
> install several Perl modules (YAML, XMLarser, XML::Simple, etc.) on
> a RHEL 3.

None of the modules named use strlcpy, so the problem is elsewhere.

> From what I have read, it seems that strlcpy is a function that is
> included with BSD, Solaris, and OSX, but is not in the GNU C Library.

What is the output of

perl -V:d_strlcpy

? Do you know for certain you don't have strlcpy in your libc? (Try nm
-D /lib/libc.so.* | grep strlcpy, or sosmething equivalent.)

> However, I was able to compile these applications on my old Red Hat
> Linux 8.0 system without any problems, so the strlcpy function must be
> available in some library. I just can figure out what it is or how to
> make it available on my new Fedora system. Any ideas?
>
> [edit: Actually, it appears that the modules that I compiled
> successfully on my old system were older versions that used strcpy
> instead of strlcpy. Apparently the newer versions use strlcpy instead,
> so they might not compile on my old system. Also I wanted to add that at
> least in a couple of places, the file that refers to strlcpy is
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Cwd/Cwd.so]

Cwd.xs as distributed with 5.8.8 does not use strlcpy. Are you using a
version of perl that has been patched by RedHat? Are you perhaps using a
version of perl that was built for a different Red Hat distribution, or
a copy of Cwd.so that doesn't go with your perl? 5.10 includes an
implementation of strlcpy in the perl source, and it's possible that Red
Hat ported that change back into their 5.8.8.

Ben