Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > GAC Considerations

GAC Considerations

RC

I'm likely to separate out some classes in my Web app into their own
assemblies which are run from the GAC in order to ease maintenance of
multiple copies of my Web app being run from the same server.

Before diving into this, what I would like to know is that once I get all
the pieces in place - can upgrades to the Web application take place very
quickly (like a couple of seconds)? Am I correct in thinking that I can
script everything required to upgrade assemblies in the GAC, associated mods
to the machine config, and restart IIS - all in a few seconds and be done
with the upgrade? Would there be any reason to manually get in there and
touch every Web application installation (even if all I'm upgrading is
assemblies in the GAC)?

thanks!