Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Getting MySQL table info in perl script

Getting MySQL table info in perl script

Occidental

...ie the column name, definitions (varchar(100) etc). The most
obvious way is to parse the output from describe table_name. Is there
an easier way? My goal is to create a generic INSERT sub, which takes
as args table_name and a hash reference, eg:

$table_name = "TheTable";
$hash(Int1) = 99;
$hash(Float2) = 1.54;
$hash(String7) = "Goodbye cruel world";

...where Float2, Int1, String7 are some but not all cols in mysql table
TheTable. The sub is invoked as follows:

DoInsert($table_name, \%hash);

DoInsert will generate and execute the INSERT statement, NULLing out
fields not in %hash, single quoting string fields, etc., maybe even
doing data tyep compatibility tests. I would be happy to learn that
some one has beaten me to it, and a procedure like DoInsert already
exists.