Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Replacing char

Replacing char

anonymous

Hello,

I need to replace this char with another char.
However I am not able to acieve this. I tried this but it
doesnt work:

str = str.Replace(chr(asc(194)), "")

Can somebody help ?

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

The "replace" needs either two characters or two strings. In your case, try:

Dim c As Char = Chr(194)
str = str.Replace(c.ToString, "")

Or why not just str.replace("Â", "")?

Bill

"anonymous" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need to replace this char  with another char.
> However I am not able to acieve this. I tried this but it
> doesnt work:
>
> str = str.Replace(chr(asc(194)), "")
>
> Can somebody help ?

anonymous

I tried both versions, but it still doesnt work. The thing
is that I am reading the following rss
(http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx) and creating
the file with the description of the item. The file
contains only the description with the strange chars. Here
is my complete code:

Dim reader As New XmlTextReader
("http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx")
Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument

xmlDoc.Load(reader)

Dim nodes As XmlNodeList = xmlDoc.SelectNodes
("/rss/channel/item")
dim i as integer = 0

For Each node As XmlNode In nodes
Try
strPost = node("description").InnerXml
Dim c as char = Chr(194)
strPost = strPost.Replace("", "XX")
Dim fp As StreamWriter
dim strfile as string = Server.MapPath("xml_news//")
strfile = strfile & i.tostring()
strfile = strfile & ".asp"
fp = File.CreateText(strfile)
fp.WriteLine("<p>" & Server.HtmlDecode(strPost)
& "</p>")
fp.close()
Catch ex As Exception
Response.Write(ex.Message() & "<br>")
End Try
i = i + 1
Next

Thanks for any help.

mortb

I don't see any s in the feed? Is it really the character you want to
replace?
cheers,
mortb

"anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:464401c4c6e1$27ad5a30$(E-Mail Removed)...
I tried both versions, but it still doesnt work. The thing
is that I am reading the following rss
(http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx) and creating
the file with the description of the item. The file
contains only the description with the strange chars. Here
is my complete code:

Dim reader As New XmlTextReader
("http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx")
Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument

xmlDoc.Load(reader)

Dim nodes As XmlNodeList = xmlDoc.SelectNodes
("/rss/channel/item")
dim i as integer = 0

For Each node As XmlNode In nodes
Try
strPost = node("description").InnerXml
Dim c as char = Chr(194)
strPost = strPost.Replace("", "XX")
Dim fp As StreamWriter
dim strfile as string = Server.MapPath("xml_news//")
strfile = strfile & i.tostring()
strfile = strfile & ".asp"
fp = File.CreateText(strfile)
fp.WriteLine("<p>" & Server.HtmlDecode(strPost)
& "</p>")
fp.close()
Catch ex As Exception
Response.Write(ex.Message() & "<br>")
End Try
i = i + 1
Next

Thanks for any help.

anonymous

Try my code and you will see that the asp page contains
this character.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

I get exceptions when I run your code ("could not find a part of the path"),
but tracing through still don't see the  (e.g. strPost.IndexOf("Â") fails).
Is it possible you have a code page problem?

Bill

"anonymous" wrote:

> Try my code and you will see that the asp page contains
> this character.

Anonymous

The A character only appear in the created file. Ofcourse
you need the change the path so that it works on your
system.

Please help.

strPost.IndexOf(",") fails).
>Is it possible you have a code page problem?
>
>Bill
>
>"anonymous" wrote:
>
>> Try my code and you will see that the asp page contains
>> this character.

wrote
>> in message
>> >news:464401c4c6e1$27ad5a30$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I tried both versions, but it still doesnt work. The

thing
>> >is that I am reading the following rss
>> >(http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx) and

creating
>> >the file with the description of the item. The file
>> >contains only the description with the strange chars.

Here
>> >is my complete code:
>> >
>> >Dim reader As New XmlTextReader
>> >("http://pluralsight.com/blogs/dbox/Rss.aspx")
>> >Dim xmlDoc As New XmlDocument
>> >
>> >xmlDoc.Load(reader)
>> >
>> >Dim nodes As XmlNodeList = xmlDoc.SelectNodes
>> >("/rss/channel/item")
>> >dim i as integer = 0
>> >
>> >For Each node As XmlNode In nodes
>> >Try
>> > strPost = node("description").InnerXml
>> > Dim c as char = Chr(194)
>> > strPost = strPost.Replace(",", "XX")
>> > Dim fp As StreamWriter
>> > dim strfile as string = Server.MapPath

("xml_news//")
>> > strfile = strfile & i.tostring()
>> > strfile = strfile & ".asp"
>> > fp = File.CreateText(strfile)
>> > fp.WriteLine("<p>" & Server.HtmlDecode(strPost)
>> >& "</p>")
>> > fp.close()
>> >Catch ex As Exception
>> > Response.Write(ex.Message() & "<br>")
>> >End Try
>> >i = i + 1
>> >Next
>> >
>> >Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

My dumb mistake on the path. Looks like the source has some nonbreaking
spaces ( ascii 160), which the htmldecode is turning into asc 194. I'm
guessing you could do your replace *after* the decode, else replace on 160
*before* the decode. As to why that space is not encoded, whereas, say, the
<'s are correctly converted to < etc., I don't know. Not sure if that happens
on the rss end, or maybe in your textreader. Anyway, I'm not familiar with
grabbing a feed the way you're doing it, so can't offer much more. Hopefully
this will get you going.

Bill

"Anonymous" wrote:

> The A character only appear in the created file. Ofcourse
> you need the change the path so that it works on your
> system.
>
> Please help.

Anonymous

Thanks man. That did the trick. I was replacing 194 before
encoding. Now I am replacing 160 before encoding and it
works like a charm. How did you know that it 160 before
encoding?

Thanks

another
>> char.

this
>> but

>> >.
>> >

>.

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

P.S. There's a good article here you might find interesting: