Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mail Notification sound

Reply
Thread Tools

Mail Notification sound

 
 
Doug Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-20-2004
I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).

When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.

Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
want to play it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Doug

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Watchman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2004
Doug Smith wrote:
>
> I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
>
> When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
> Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
> select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.
>
> Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
> played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
> the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
> want to play it.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Doug


You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
you want. Mozilla should pick it up.
HTH.

Watchman
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Moz Champion
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2004
Watchman wrote:

> Doug Smith wrote:
>
>>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
>>
>>When I configure Moz Mail and Newsgroups (Preferences->Mail &
>>Newsgroups->Notifications) to play a sound when new messages arrive and
>>select a .wav file I do not get the expected result.
>>
>>Instead, the workstation's default beep sounds. The .wav file is not
>>played. I can play .wav and .mp3 files fine and, in fact, I can play
>>the target of my 'custom wav file' entry fine. But Moz doesn't seem to
>>want to play it.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>--
>>Doug

>
>
> You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
> Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
> you want. Mozilla should pick it up.
> HTH.
>
> Watchman


I would suggest the OP ugrade to Mozilla 1.7

The 1.4 version had problems with mail notification sounds, on some
platforms just attempting to change the sound killed it altogether.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
Mozilla Champions - http://mozillachampions.mozdev.org
Mozilla Manual - http://mozmanual.mozdev.org/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2004
Moz Champion wrote:
>
> I would suggest the OP ugrade to Mozilla 1.7
>
> The 1.4 version had problems with mail notification sounds, on some
> platforms just attempting to change the sound killed it altogether.


Moz, thank you -- good info.
--
Doug

 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-21-2004
Watchman wrote:
> Doug Smith wrote:
>
>>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
>> ... snippage...

>
> You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
> Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
> you want. Mozilla should pick it up.


Well, yeah, but....

I'm running Mozilla on the Solaris operating system (UNIX) on a 64-bit
Sun Workstation with an UltraSPARC IIe CPU.

I don't have a 'Start' menu.
--
Doug

 
Reply With Quote
 
Watchman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-22-2004
Doug Smith wrote:
>
> Watchman wrote:
> > Doug Smith wrote:
> >
> >>I'm running Mozilla 1.4 on Solaris (SPARC).
> >> ... snippage...

> >
> > You could try changing the sound in the Start>Control Panel>Sounds in
> > Windows. Scroll down to the New Mail Notification and give it the sound
> > you want. Mozilla should pick it up.

>
> Well, yeah, but....
>
> I'm running Mozilla on the Solaris operating system (UNIX) on a 64-bit
> Sun Workstation with an UltraSPARC IIe CPU.
>
> I don't have a 'Start' menu.
> --
> Doug


Invent one. We won't tell. ;p

Watchman
--
'Anyone who isn't confused doesn't really know what's going on'
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"New Mail Notification Sound Prob?" Resolution arnold.jason@gmail.com Windows 64bit 0 03-28-2006 09:51 AM
New Mail Notification Sound Prob? Chris LeFebvre Windows 64bit 3 02-06-2006 03:50 PM
OSX/TB0.7.1 - no sound notification about new email look^ Firefox 1 08-26-2004 07:33 AM
notification sound email receipt Melv Computer Support 3 05-20-2004 04:22 PM
Can I disable oe6 sound notification for spam/filtered mail? Hank Hill Computer Information 4 10-31-2003 01:14 AM



Advertisments