Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Read out .htaccess password

Read out .htaccess password

Bart Van der Donck

Hello,

When browser requests a directory that is secured by .htaccess user/
pass, I can read out the username in a Perl script with
$ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}.

I've been looking for a similar way to know the password.

Since this password is sent unencrypted from the browser and reaches
server in plain text, I suppose it must be possible to know it somehow
in perl ?

Thanks,

--
Bart