Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > windows perl modules

windows perl modules

king

Where can we download windows perl modules.

>From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not

found in CPAN.

Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

Thanks inadvance

Michele Dondi

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:55:33 -0000, king <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Is there any site from where I can download PPM perl modules from.

Well, ppm has AS's repository as the predefined one. Others that you
may add include:

C:\temp>ppm repo
id pkgs name
+----+-------+--------------------------------
1 6808 ActiveState Package Repository
2 645 uwinnipeg
3 416 bribes
4 10432 trouchelle
5 20 SoulCage

Michele

Michael Carman

On 8/8/2007 7:55 AM, king wrote:
> Where can we download windows perl modules.
>
> From CPAN its very easy to get unix modules. but PPM packages are not found
> in CPAN.

ActiveState doesn't do the best job at keeping it's PPM archives synched up with
what's available on CPAN.

With a few exceptions the modules on CPAN are platform-independent.
Unfortunately for Windows users they tend to assume a *nix-like environment
where "make" (and possibly a C compiler) are available. With a little one-time
effort you can set up your computer so that you can install anything from CPAN:

1) Install nmake
2) Install MinGW
3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:

perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
make
make test
make install

The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

-mjc

Mirco Wahab

Petr Vileta wrote:
> Please can you poste here URLs to these repositories?
> I use these:
>
> Location: http://search.cpan.org
> Type: Webpage
> Location: http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm
> Type: Webpage
> Location: http://ppm.ActiveState.com/PPM/ppmse...PPM/Server/SQL
> Type: PPMServer 3.0
> Location: http://ppm.ActiveState.com/cgibin/PP...urn:/PPMServer
> Type: PPMServer 2.0

http://win32.perl.org/wiki/index.php...M_Repositories

Regards

M.

Sisyphus

"Michael Carman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Permit me to expand on this (and also be a little picky in the process

> 1) Install nmake

You'll get good milage from 'nmake', but better milage from 'dmake' (
http://search.cpan.org/dist/dmake/ ).

> 2) Install MinGW
> 3) Install ExtUtils::FakeConfig

As of build 815 (or thereabouts) of ActiveState perl, it's not necessary to
install ExtUtils::FakeConfig, as these recent builds of ActivePerl will work
seamlessly with MinGW and nmake/dmake. (And there's no need to invoke the
'-MConfig_m switch either.)
However, ActiveState didn't quite get it right, and for builds 815 to 820
there's a bug or two that needs fixing if you want to go down this path. See
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=614808 .
The latest build of ActivePerl (822) *does* apparently get it right. Afaik
there are no bugs to fix wrt the use of MinGW and nmake/dmake on build 822.

> Then change the standard Perl module install mantra slightly:
>
> perl -MConfig_m Makefile.pl
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> The only change is the addition of -MConfig_m when running Makefile.pl.

Sometimes (rarely) when using ExtUtils::FakeConfig it's not sufficient to
simply run 'perl -MConfig_m Makefile.PL'. PDL and Inline::C are two modules
that won't build that way - because their build procedures run 'perl blah',
but need to run 'perl -MConfig_m blah'. To build such modules it's best to:

set perl5opt=-MConfig_m
perl Makefile.PL
nmake test
nmake install

That ensures that Config_m.pm is loaded *every* time that perl is run -
which is exactly what's needed when building (and running) PDL, Inline::C,
Inline::CPP, and some others.

Cheers,
Rob