Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > Windows based perl editor?

Windows based perl editor?

Bill H

I have been using Edit (in a dos box) on Windows for editing perl for
the past 8 years or so, and though it is fine for me, I think it is
time to step up to a windows based editor. Can anyone recommend a good
windows based perl editor?

My wish list for what the editor would be able to do is:

1. Allow me to run the program I am editting in a dos box (using
active state perl)
2. Have multiple undos
3. Create multiple back up files as I save changes (a form of version
control so I can step back to a previous "version" if what I did
doesnt work right).
4. Syntax hilighting
5. Multiple programs open at the same time
6. Some form of project structure to allow me to group all the files
together

Most of these "wishes" come from the MS Visual C++ editor I used to
use before discovering perl.

Searching the internet I came across Perl Express (http://perl-
editor.perl-express.com/) but am leary of downloading programs I find
on the internet without knowing if they are safe.

I am not sure if this would influence your recommendtions but the
majority (99%) of the perl I write is used on web servers.

Any / all suggestions are appreciated.
Bill H

O. Olson

If you use Eclipse you can consider the Eclipse Perl Integration
http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/ .

I use this under Windows. I think that it has many/all of your
requirements. (I have personally not tried version control and
debugging as yet.)

O.O.

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> 5. Multiple programs open at the same time

> I am not sure what you mean by this.

Yes. GViM can open multiple files (or the same file) in multiple panes, above, below, to the right or left. And controls to rearrange them.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
Aristotle

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
>> 5. Multiple programs open at the same time

> I am not sure what you mean by this.

Yes. GViM can open multiple files (or the same file) in multiple panes, above, below, to the right or left. And controls to rearrange them.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
Shawn

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them."
Aristotle

skywriter14

This is a good topic. I develope in Windows platform too. I use Perl
in cygwin and ActivePerl both. I would like to know what tools/editors
other people uses too.
I use 4 tools alternatingly to edit Perl code (all of them supports
syntax-highlighting):
1. SciTE: Very light-weight, supports multi-tab, you can hit F5 to
run Perl code within the editor. Does everything else well, except
versionning.
2. Notepad++: Similar to Scite, little bit smarter. Can be extended
by installing plugins. Does not help with versionning.
3. Vim: needless to describe, I use it inside cygwin to edit
something quickly.
4. Eclipse with EPIC plugin: Very powerful, not light-weight. Does
many things. I use the debugger, really great. Can check syntax as-you-
type. You can use PerlCritic with it. Perldoc can be accessed inside a
tab. Pod::Checker is there. The search/replace dialogueboxes are
completely regex enabled. Refactor feature does not work well with
Perl. You cannot set separate syntax highlighting colors for scalars,
hashes or arrays as can be done with SciTE or Notepad++. You can
install subeclipse plugin to enable CVS.

Can anyone refer to anything as good as these? I have heard good
things about Ultra Edit and an IDE from ActiveState. But they are not
free, right?

I On Aug 3, 8:28 am, Bill H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have been using Edit (in a dos box) on Windows for editing perl for
> the past 8 years or so, and though it is fine for me, I think it is
> time to step up to a windows based editor. Can anyone recommend a good
> windows based perl editor?
>
> My wish list for what the editor would be able to do is:
>
> 1. Allow me to run the program I am editting in a dos box (using
> active state perl)
> 2. Have multiple undos
> 3. Create multiple back up files as I save changes (a form of version
> control so I can step back to a previous "version" if what I did
> doesnt work right).
> 4. Syntax hilighting
> 5. Multiple programs open at the same time
> 6. Some form of project structure to allow me to group all the files
> together
>
> Most of these "wishes" come from the MS Visual C++ editor I used to
> use before discovering perl.
>
> Searching the internet I came across Perl Express (http://perl-
> editor.perl-express.com/) but am leary of downloading programs I find
> on the internet without knowing if they are safe.
>
> I am not sure if this would influence your recommendtions but the
> majority (99%) of the perl I write is used on web servers.
>
> Any / all suggestions are appreciated.
> Bill H

skywriter14

> Debugging Perl is a ambiguous endevour. Perl is so simple, debugging
> isin't necessary. Regular expressions, the golden eagle is a pride
> among Perl proffessionals. You can't learn that in a ide.

Hmmm... I agree. Perl is simple. All I REALLY need is syntax
highlighting. I am not as old with Perl as many of you guys here. I
started my Perl adventure with niPerl which comes with SciTE. So my
best editor is SciTE. More of a nostalogic thing, than anything else.

Mirco Wahab

skywriter14 wrote:
> Can anyone refer to anything as good as these? I have heard good
> things about Ultra Edit and an IDE from ActiveState. But they are not
> free, right?

Activestate has two things, it has an (very good imho) Editor,
which is "KomodoEdit", for free and an Editor+Visual Debugger+
Subversion interface, which is "Komodo". The "Komodo"-thing
allows you to debug in CGI environment, which you can set up
interactively (realy really nice). But this doesn't come
for free - but you'll have the chance of a 21 day free
test of the full version.

If you are used to the Visual Studio Tools, you'll surely
feel "at home" with the Komodo-Tools.

my 0,02

Regards

M.

Mr. Shawn H. Corey

A. Sinan Unur wrote:
> Mr. Corey: I am not sure why this needed to be posted three times.

I did not post three times; the internet did it for me.

The internet is a complete network of computers talking to each other. When a message is sent, it is sent through multiple pathways. If the sending computer does not get a receipt before it times out, the message is re-sent. Normally, there is a unique ID attached to each message but sometimes this gets lost.

Seeing a message appear multiple times occurs 2 or 3 times a year per newsgroup. If you don't like it, don't read the newsgroups.