Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > install of perl 5.8.8

install of perl 5.8.8

rogv24@yahoo.com

I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
server.
Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
already v.5.8.4 installed.

thanks

Mumia W.

On 06/30/2007 04:25 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
> server.
> Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
> already v.5.8.4 installed.
>
> thanks

The instructions are not necessarily eaaasy, but they are in the source.

You probably want to read README, README.solaris, INSTALL and the output
from "./Configure --help"

Mark Clements

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
> server.
> Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
> already v.5.8.4 installed.
>
> thanks

You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from

http://www.sunfreeware.com/

eg

http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl

Mark

rogv24@yahoo.com

On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
> > server.
> > Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
> > already v.5.8.4 installed.

> > thanks

> You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from
>
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/
>
> eg
>
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl
>
> Mark

hello Mark,

So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
would have just to point to perl?

Mark Clements

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> I have never installed Perl. I downloaded 5.8.8 into solaris 10
>>> server.
>>> Is there an eaaasy instruction for installation. There is
>>> already v.5.8.4 installed.
>>> thanks

>> You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from
>>
>> http://www.sunfreeware.com/
>>
>> eg
>>
>> http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl
>>
>> Mark

> hello Mark,
>
> So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
> would have just to point to perl?

Pretty much. The relevant page says

**
The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
**

Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).

Mark

rogv24@yahoo.com

On Jul 1, 5:21 pm, Mark Clements <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > On Jul 1, 11:29 am, Mark Clements <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:

> >> You can avoid the compilation stage by downloading a Solaris package from

> >>http://www.sunfreeware.com/

> >> eg

> >>http://www.sunfreeware.com/programlistsparc10.html#perl

> >> Mark

> > hello Mark,

> > So when I downloaded from sunfreeware and install the software, I
> > would have just to point to perl?

> Pretty much. The relevant page says
>
> **
> The Perl Language System - installs in /usr/local. Important Note -
> Solaris comes with a its own version of perl in /usr/bin. You may wish
> to use this version rather than the version on sunfreeware.com. If you
> do install this perl and want to use it rather than the Sun one, you
> will need to have /usr/local/bin in your PATH before /usr/bin.
> **
>
> Your scripts containing a #! line will need to refer to the perl
> installed in /usr/local/bin/perl rather than the perl in /usr/bin, the
> version of which will vary with Solaris version and possibly maintenance
> release (is a while since I've had a Solaris box to play with).
>
> Mark- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for your help