Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Which event is appropriate....

Which event is appropriate....

Nelson

Here is the discussion that is already discussed that I am looking for.
After visiting the link below I am getting the following code.
My question is in which client side script event I can set the value of x =
10. Setting x = 10 in the onmousemove may be a performance issue.
Thank you very much for your advice.

After certain seconds. Triggers the alert message
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript"><!--
var x = 10
var y = 1
function startClock(){
x = x-y
document.frm.clock.value = x
setTimeout("startClock()", 1000)
//if(x==0){
//alert("BOOM");
//x=10;
//Redirect the user to login page since the session times out
}
}
//--></SCRIPT>
</HEAD>

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onLoad="startClock()">
This page will explode in
<FORM NAME="frm">
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="clock" SIZE=4 >
</FORM>
seconds...
</BODY></HTML>

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The event would be the TimeOut Interval triggering the function that
> setTimeOut refers to.
>
> --
> HTH,
> Kevin Spencer
> .Net Developer
> Microsoft MVP
> I get paid good money to
> solve puzzles for a living
>
> "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The browser will keep track of that for you.
> > All you need is one client side event to fire once the trigger time has
> > elapsed and you want to warn the user.
> > You can name the event anything you want.
> >
> > --
> > I hope this helps,
> > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > http://Steve.Orr.net
> >

> > "Benjamin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Thanks for your answers.
> > >
> > > Now I understand I have to use setTimeout to achieve my goal.
> > >
> > > The link http://www.crowes.f9.co.uk/Javascript/timer.htm is really
> > > helpful.
> > >
> > > Which client side event I should use to keep track the user is still

> using
> > > the website.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Benjamin
> > >

> > > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...

> minutes

> page.
> > > visible

> > > the

=?Utf-8?B?Q293Ym95IChHcmVnb3J5IEEuIEJlYW1lcikgLSBNVlA=?=

The page being active or not is based on session value on the server. A page
timing out should coincide with that value, which means activity on the page
does nothing.

I assume, however, you are trying to auto log out a person who leaves a page
open. If so, you realistically have to test both mouse movement and keyboard
input. Yes, this will be a bit heavy, but not really bad, as it is all client
side. It is fairly easy to test the impact of this activity, by setting up a
do nothing JavaScript on both events.

In most cases, testing for key clicks or mouse clicks is probably enough.

---

Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

***************************
Think Outside the Box!
***************************

"Nelson" wrote:

> Here is the discussion that is already discussed that I am looking for.
> After visiting the link below I am getting the following code.
> My question is in which client side script event I can set the value of x =
> 10. Setting x = 10 in the onmousemove may be a performance issue.
> Thank you very much for your advice.
>
> After certain seconds. Triggers the alert message
> <HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
> <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript"><!--
> var x = 10
> var y = 1
> function startClock(){
> x = x-y
> document.frm.clock.value = x
> setTimeout("startClock()", 1000)
> //if(x==0){
> //alert("BOOM");
> //x=10;
> //Redirect the user to login page since the session times out
> }
> }
> //--></SCRIPT>
> </HEAD>
>
> <BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF" onLoad="startClock()">
> This page will explode in
> <FORM NAME="frm">
> <INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="clock" SIZE=4 >
> </FORM>
> seconds...
> </BODY></HTML>

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The event would be the TimeOut Interval triggering the function that
> > setTimeOut refers to.
> >
> > --
> > HTH,
> > Kevin Spencer
> > .Net Developer
> > Microsoft MVP
> > I get paid good money to
> > solve puzzles for a living
> >
> > "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The browser will keep track of that for you.
> > > All you need is one client side event to fire once the trigger time has
> > > elapsed and you want to warn the user.
> > > You can name the event anything you want.
> > >
> > > --
> > > I hope this helps,
> > > Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
> > > http://Steve.Orr.net
> > >

> > > "Benjamin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > using

> > minutes

> > page.

Nelson

"by setting up a do nothing JavaScript "
You are saying write an event handler for this event and do not write any
statement or is there any do nothig statements.
Thanks,
Nelson

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote