Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > reading spreadsheets

reading spreadsheets

QoS@domain.invalid

Hello everybody,

Please help.
I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9. files.
Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
learning the specific lotus 123 file format?

Spreadsheet::Read doesnt want to open the file

#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use Spreadsheet::Read;

my $aref = 'UNDEFINED';
$aref = Spreadsheet::Read::ReadData('original.123');
print "aref is: [$aref]\n";

exit;

Thanks for any guidance on this.

Michael Vilain

In article <ZD%9i.19188$6h.1878@trnddc08>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> Please help.
> I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9. files.
> Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
> be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
> module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
> to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
> learning the specific lotus 123 file format?
>
> Spreadsheet::Read doesnt want to open the file
>
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use strict;
> use warnings;
> use Spreadsheet::Read;
>
> my $aref = 'UNDEFINED';
> $aref = Spreadsheet::Read::ReadData('original.123');
> print "aref is: [$aref]\n";
>
> exit;
>
> Thanks for any guidance on this.

CPAN had no hits for "lotus", so you're going to have to roll you own
here.

A google of "Lotus 123 file format" showed the Wikipedia article among
others which lead me to

http://www.schnarff.com/file-formats/index.html#lotus

Time to roll up your sleeves...

QoS@domain.invalid

bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message-id: <466913f5$0$8730$(E-Mail Removed)>

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> Please help.
>> I've got a bunch of Lotus 123 (version 9. files.
>> Well it would be very good if these files could somehow
>> be loaded into a Perl datastructure. Does Perl have a
>> module for accomplishing this? Any other ideas on how
>> to get this file loaded up into a data structure without
>> learning the specific lotus 123 file format?

>If you only have a small number, a bit of manual
>load - save-as in open office might be a way
>forward.
>
>OpenOffice may also have automation or scripting
>capaibilities, but that would be a matter
>for another forum.
>
> BugBear

I asked the fella to use his smartsuite thing to save as to excel or csv.

But it is apparently 1000's of files, so, in the meantime i will be looking
for a converter to make exporting the .123's to .xls's quicker.

Looking into that file format sounds interesting anyhow, perhaps another
time.

Thanks for all your help on this folks.

QoS@domain.invalid

l v <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message-id: <(E-Mail Removed)>

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> bugbear <bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote in message-id: <466913f5$0$8730$(E-Mail Removed)>

>>> If you only have a small number, a bit of manual
>>> load - save-as in open office might be a way
>>> forward.
>>>
>>> OpenOffice may also have automation or scripting
>>> capaibilities, but that would be a matter
>>> for another forum.
>>>
>>> BugBear

>> I asked the fella to use his smartsuite thing to save as to excel or csv.
>>
>> But it is apparently 1000's of files, so, in the meantime i will be looking
>> for a converter to make exporting the .123's to .xls's quicker.
>>
>> Looking into that file format sounds interesting anyhow, perhaps another
>> time.
>>
>> Thanks for all your help on this folks.
>>

>Visual Basic Macro to Convert Lotus Files to MS Excel at
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/115343/en-us
>
>--
>
>Len

Excellent find, thank you.. If my friend finds it to cumbersome to
export his spreadsheets using lotus, I will offer this as an option.