Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > CPAN Question

CPAN Question

QoS@domain.invalid

I would like to download and install a package from CPAN
but it says '** UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE **'.

What does this message mean? How did this package obtain this unfortunate
label?

Is it potentially a bad thing to use this package because of this
message?

Thanks for any insight

brian d foy

In article <zn_4i.9157$ns.5844@trndny05>, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I would like to download and install a package from CPAN
> but it says '** UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE **'.

That's a particular solution to a bit of nastiness one of the CPAN
developers tried to get away with recently.

An "Unauthorixed Release" is one by someone not registered to upload to
that namespace. Since anyone can upload anything to CPAN, people can
try to overwrite the work of other people. CPAN is a bit smarter than
that, though, and tracks who's the authoritative source for each
package.

I can't comment on why you saw that tag because you didn't mention
which module it applied to, but sometimes this merely means that there
is a problem with the co-maintainer permissions.

QoS@domain.invalid

Christian Winter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message-id: <46548e08$0$10190$(E-Mail Removed)-online.net>

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I would like to download and install a package from CPAN
>> but it says '** UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE **'.
>>
>> What does this message mean? How did this package obtain this unfortunate
>> label?
>>
>> Is it potentially a bad thing to use this package because of this
>> message?
>>
>> Thanks for any insight

>For which package did this occur? It usually happens when a
>package that is co-maintained by a group of people gets updated
>by someone who wasn't assigned all the neccessary permission bits,
>as it's easy to forget passing permissions back and forth.
>
>With some modules this has also happened when the author integrated
>submodules into the distribution that were previously released
>standalone by someone else and they forgot to transfer permissions,
>or when he included some modules for testing purposes that stem
>from another package and don't get installed, but missed to point
>that out in the META.yml. I believe one of those is currently the
>case with GD and Mail::SpamAssassin.
>
>But it can also happen if someone, intentionally or by mistake,
>uploads a different package into an already existing namespace.
>
>-Chris

Thank you for this information, the package is called Perl::Critic

QoS@domain.invalid

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)d wrote in message-id: <zn_4i.9157$ns.5844@trndny05>

>I would like to download and install a package from CPAN
>but it says '** UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE **'.
>
>What does this message mean? How did this package obtain this unfortunate
>label?
>
>Is it potentially a bad thing to use this package because of this
>message?
>
>Thanks for any insight

Thank you for all the interesting background on this topic,
and for checking out the Perl::Critic package.

I have installed the package and it seems to work fine for me too.