Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Perl > Perl Misc > How to let perl debugger use a GNU screen window when fork()'ing ?

How to let perl debugger use a GNU screen window when fork()'ing ?

lilostitch

normally when I run perl debugger,
if there is a fork() in the code,
the debugger tries to open a new xterm window,
but in many case, I can't open xterm (for example, in a console only
env )

I am thinking to use GNU screen to provide the new tty,

I re-defined
sub DB::get_fork_TTY {
return "/dev/pts/2"
}

where I already have a gnu screen window open, whose "tty" output is /
dev/pts/2

then, when I debug the perl code,
after the fork(), something is output to that GNU screen window,
and I can type characters, but as soon as I type the ENTER, the screen
window is frozen,

it seems that my procedure should be OK, all the child needs is a tty
to send output to, and get input from,
where am I wrong/?

Thanks

Yang